Incubating Disaster!

theBRINK

In the Brooder
8 Years
Mar 10, 2011
Gulf Coast Mississippi
I think I know the answer, but I thought I'd ask you more experienced folk...

I'm a newbie chickener and just built a Styrofoam incubator with an external dimmer switch that has an adapter for a lamp plug. Last night I had everything steady at 100 degrees but the switch got kicked and I came home an hour and a half later and the temp was 146!!!! I got the eggs out as fast as I could and cooled them, and adjusted the temp to normal. Are the little guys fried or can I keep them in? Thanks for any help.

ep.gif
146! I hate to say it but I would think they are fried, but maybe there is still a chance. I would say give them a day or two then candle to see if you have any still moving. How far along are they?

I agree with paddock36, give them a few days and then candle. How many days into incubation are you? If you aren't to day 10, I would wait until then before you candle. I have my
fl.gif
fl.gif
fl.gif
for you!

They are staggered... I have 11 in total, 9 are on day 15 or 16 and 2 are on day 2.. I'll wait a day or so then candle.. Thanks for giving me a smidgen of hope!

Just an update on my fried eggs... One of the eggs I cooked looks like it is pulling through! It is amazing how hardy even the fetus can be! Thanks for the encouragement you guys..

Quote:
Glad it looks like one is going to be okay. I had a similar thing happen to one of my hatches.....2 dozen eggs of 4 different types of pure bred birds...one week away from hatch and my 2 year old "helps" mommy by cranking the incubator......boy was that rough......I must say I cried. (Not in front of the baby though.) He had gotten through a closed door with a baby gate.....now if he had only been left handed and turned the thing down! lol

I hope you post an update when it hatches!

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom