1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Incubating Duck Eggs: Is It Rotten?

Discussion in 'Ducks' started by countyroad1330, Mar 23, 2009.

1. countyroad1330

countyroad1330 Thunder Snow 2009!

Oct 15, 2007
    Oklahoma!
    I found blue duck eggs behind my house and decided to incubate 3 of them. It is only the 3rd day, but I candled to see if it looked like anything was going on. They are not clear, but what I am seeing is floating to the top as I turn the egg in my hand.

If it was a growing embryo, would it be showing anything this soon? And would it float like that? I've only incubated chicken eggs, and they seem to stay on the side that's been down the longest. (Make sense?)

2. Wifezilla

Wifezilla Positively Ducky

Oct 2, 2008
    Colorado
    Give it a few more days and see if veins develop.

3. shelleyd2008

shelleyd2008 the bird is the word

Sep 14, 2008
    Adair Co., KY
    It should float when you move it. The embryo will always be on top, whichever way you turn it. You won't be able to see veins till at least day 5ish, but the more you candle them, the more likely they are to die. Especially in the first few days.

4. TheDuckCrew

TheDuckCrew Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 21, 2009
    Connecticut
    since i'm guessing they are wild duck eggs, did you take them all? now that they have the human scent on them, the mommy won't come back and incubate the rest if she was planning on coming back at all.

5. countyroad1330

countyroad1330 Thunder Snow 2009!

Oct 15, 2007
    Oklahoma!
    DuckCrew, I had thought about that ahead of time and had been watching. The females are all laying eggs in one place, but none of them have been broody. They did that alot last summer too. The only chicks that were ever hatched were far from this area. It was a large pile of eggs, so I figured it'd be ok.

And I'm not sure I'd call them wild ducks! I think someone got the babies from our local Atwoods, then dumped them here when they got bigger. They're the sweetest things, I love having them around.

I checked tonight, 2 of the eggs are definitely developed! I only check the eggs when its time to turn them, and I don't check every time of course. With all my chicken hatches, I've never had more than two eggs not hatch. Hopefully I can keep up the good luck with the ducks!

Thanks for the advice everyone!

6. Wifezilla

Wifezilla Positively Ducky

Oct 2, 2008
    Colorado
    What kind of duck lays blue eggs?

7. Duck Keeper

Duck Keeper Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 18, 2009
    Out in the Boonies
    Quote:I believe some calls do??

Don't quote me lol.

Last edited: Mar 25, 2009
  8. SportTees

SportTees Chillin' With My Peeps

Quote:Don't mallard mixes??

9. SundownWaterfowl

SundownWaterfowl Overrun With Chickens

Don't quote me lol.

yes. call ducks lay bluish greenish egg.

10. Duck Keeper

Duck Keeper Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 18, 2009
    Out in the Boonies

Don't quote me lol.

yes. call ducks lay bluish greenish egg.

OH NO!! You quoted me! [​IMG]

Lol. [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by