Incubating Duck Eggs: Is It Rotten?

countyroad1330

Thunder Snow 2009!
13 Years
Oct 15, 2007
Oklahoma!
I found blue duck eggs behind my house and decided to incubate 3 of them. It is only the 3rd day, but I candled to see if it looked like anything was going on. They are not clear, but what I am seeing is floating to the top as I turn the egg in my hand.

If it was a growing embryo, would it be showing anything this soon? And would it float like that? I've only incubated chicken eggs, and they seem to stay on the side that's been down the longest. (Make sense?)

It should float when you move it. The embryo will always be on top, whichever way you turn it. You won't be able to see veins till at least day 5ish, but the more you candle them, the more likely they are to die. Especially in the first few days.

since i'm guessing they are wild duck eggs, did you take them all? now that they have the human scent on them, the mommy won't come back and incubate the rest if she was planning on coming back at all.

DuckCrew, I had thought about that ahead of time and had been watching. The females are all laying eggs in one place, but none of them have been broody. They did that alot last summer too. The only chicks that were ever hatched were far from this area. It was a large pile of eggs, so I figured it'd be ok.

And I'm not sure I'd call them wild ducks! I think someone got the babies from our local Atwoods, then dumped them here when they got bigger. They're the sweetest things, I love having them around.

I checked tonight, 2 of the eggs are definitely developed! I only check the eggs when its time to turn them, and I don't check every time of course. With all my chicken hatches, I've never had more than two eggs not hatch. Hopefully I can keep up the good luck with the ducks!

Thanks for the advice everyone!

Quote:
I believe some calls do??

Don't quote me lol.

yes. call ducks lay bluish greenish egg.

OH NO!! You quoted me!
gig.gif

Lol.
tongue.png

Back
Top Bottom