Incubating Duck eggs

Cody.RouenDucks

In the Brooder
May 4, 2018
Hello. Today I received a hygrometer in the mail. I am currently on day 3 of incubating Rouen ducklings. The hydrometer I bought is reading the right humidity but the temp has me concerned. The temperature of my janoel 12 incubator is set on 37.5. My new hygrometer says that my temperature is 39.5. Does anybody know what one is correct or how I could tell? I just got done hatching Rouens in the same incubator last week with 3 out of 6 hatching.

Did the ones you hatch last week hatch early, or on time? The built ins aren't always accurate. You may want to buy a calibrated medical thermometer to test both of the thermometers you have against.

Did the ones you hatch last week hatch early, or on time? The built ins aren't always accurate. You may want to buy a calibrated medical thermometer to test both of the thermometers you have against.
They actually hatched early by 2 days. They hatched at day 26. I do have a food thermometer that I'm using under the heatlamp with the ducklings. Would that work?

They actually hatched early by 2 days. They hatched at day 26. I do have a food thermometer that I'm using under the heatlamp with the ducklings. Would that work?

If they were early, then the temp is too high, so in this case, I'd trust the thermometer on the hygrometer. You could try the food one too and see what it says but I don't think those are held to the same standards as the medical ones.

You may be able to calibrate that one with the ice water method though, if it's waterproof.

Without knowing how accurate the hygrometer thermometer is, it's hard to say. I'd drop it a degree to start with.

Without knowing how accurate the hygrometer thermometer is, it's hard to say. I'd drop it a degree to start with.
Thanks! I'm almost nervous to touch anything on it because I'll end up messing it. But I think I'll give it a try.

Back
Top Bottom