Incubating & Easter Egger Question; help needed

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by madimorg, Feb 3, 2013.

1. madimorg

madimorg Out Of The Brooder

Apr 26, 2010
    Central Ohio
    Good morning!
    I've used my incubator a few times but am still very new to this. In the past I've only hatched pure breed eggs but now I'd like to hatch some Easter Egger chicks. Three of my hens are Easter Eggers and I've thought about putting some of these blue and green eggs into my incubator. But the roosters I own are all pure breed (Faveroles and a Cochin). Would these eggs still yield an Easter Egger chick that will lay green/blue eggs or would the genetics pick up the pure breed rooster genes and just give me a general mixed breed chicken not capable of blue/green eggs? I know Easter Eggers are already considered to be a non pure breed anyway so I'm hoping that I'd still be able to carry the Easter Egger gene even though a rooster is a purebreed. I hope this makes sense and that someone will be able to help me.

2. Makomd

Makomd Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 24, 2011
    ES of MD , USA
    If I am not mistaken you could get blue/green eggs, but also browns.

3. madimorg

madimorg Out Of The Brooder

Apr 26, 2010
    Central Ohio
    I was hoping that maybe the Easter Egger genes would be dominant and I'd always get an Easter Egger regardless of what the rooster is.

4. mstricer

mstricer Overrun With Chickens

Feb 12, 2009
    Ohio
    I'm pretty sure Makomd is right, but they will be cool looking birds. I had a young Marans cover my d'Uccle and when those eggs hatched out the girl laid plain eggs, like a d'Uccle egg. You can get any color with the EE's. I had a Lavender AM cover my Barred Rock, I just hatched out 3 chicks, one is a girl, I can't wait to see what she lays, she is going back with the Lavender so she can get another blue gene added as I think she would only get one.

5. RWise

RWise Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 25, 2012
    Oakhurst Oklahoma
    My older EEer lays olive color mostly, can be bright green or brown/green as well, you wont know what she will lay until she does, another EEer just started laying a pretty bluish egg.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by