1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Incubating eggs exposed to below zero temps?

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by mkelle11, Dec 13, 2008.

1. mkelle11

mkelle11 Out Of The Brooder

Dec 13, 2008
    Will they develop? If theres a chance, about how many days in 0-32 degree weather can they have been exposed to before they are no longer hatchable?
    I mean, the eggs arent cracked or anything, like they do when they freeze solid.

I know that some of them must be fertile, as I just opened a fertile one when I made cookies a few hours ago.

Anyways, thanks.

2. mamaKate

mamaKate Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 9, 2008
    SE MO
    HI! [​IMG] I'm not sure about this. It probably matters alot how long they were exposed.

3. BirdBoy88

BirdBoy88 Angel Egg

Dec 26, 2007
    Maryland
    i had a banty hen 2 years ago set on a nest of eggs she hid in a bush during the winter with snow on the ground and she sat on 8 eggs and 4 hatch so it happens [​IMG]

4. swtangel321

swtangel321 ~Crazy Egg Lady~

Jul 11, 2008
    [​IMG]

They dont always crack when they freeze, if you can get the egg soon enough after its layed you MIGHT be able to hatch it. Its hard with temps like that. Plus fertility drops in the cold winter months.

Put a heat lamp or 2 aiming on the nest boxes to help them from freezing !! Or wait till the weather gets better, you will have better luck that way.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by