incubating eggs for the first time

SAMnELLA

Crowing
15 Years
Oct 19, 2008
North Florida
Hey peeps LOL. I'm trying to hatch some eggs in a homemade incubator for the first time ! I have 9 eggs and around day 10. I saw movement in 3 of them. The rest I couldn't tell I guess cause they are brown eggs. I have one that is white, but I think it may be a quitter. My question is, how long can I wait to remove the egg? I don't want it to break open if it's rotten, but don't want to remove it until I'm sure there's no chick in it.

I usually wait to remove eggs - as long as they don't smell!! - until about 2 weeks. At that point I'll only take out all the obviously clear eggs. Even on super dark eggs you can tell clear eggs by that point. It's taking a chance either way - removing an actual developing egg by mistake or taking a chance of a blow up. I go by my nose. :)

29662929_10214538314923699_633802728186411532_o.jpg

Hey, I have another bunch of eggs and in two of them I don't see an air sac. They are dark eggs, but they are about 1 week into incubation. Any ideas ? All the others have an embryo that is moving.

Hey, I have another bunch of eggs and in two of them I don't see an air sac. They are dark eggs, but they are about 1 week into incubation. Any ideas ? All the others have an embryo that is moving.
I just set a batch, 11 are dark green and brown, couldn't see the air cell either.
Are you candling in a DARK room?...with a STRONG flashlight?
Both of those help a lot, but some eggs you just can't see nothin!

I just set a batch, 11 are dark green and brown, couldn't see the air cell either.
Are you candling in a DARK room?...with a STRONG flashlight?
Both of those help a lot, but some eggs you just can't see nothin!
Yes, I go into the bathroom, all lights off and the flashlight is 100 or more lumens. The eggshells have a mottled look to them.

Yes, I go into the bathroom, all lights off and the flashlight is 100 or more lumens. The eggshells have a mottled look to them.
Yes, some of mine have porous shells to, those make it even harder to see.
Sometimes you've just got to hope for the best,
use the ones you can see into to adjust humidity.

Back
Top Bottom