Incubating eggs in summer.

duckyfromoz

Quackaholic
10 Years
Jan 11, 2010
Australia
I turned off my incubator, and the next day my duck started laying again. We have had a few hot days out here in Australia and as the bator was off- I didnt collect eggs, and left them in the nest to see if my duck would go broody. Anyway after the few hot days I thought the eggs wouldnt be any good by the time she did go broody so collected ten and pooped them in the bator.
Day 3 and I see heaps of veins in 4 of the eggs. It seems they did start developing in the hot weather.

The last eggs I set were similar. I bought two ducks and was given a dozen eggs collected from various nests around the farm yard. On day three when I candled I saw embryos that looked like 6 days growth- and they did hatch 3 days earlier than the other eggs.

Has anyone else ever encountered this ?

When you consider the temp at which eggs begin to develop, you certainly can have eggs begin developing during the summer even without the Henny Penny sitting on them. It is especially not fun to buy eggs from someone who does not collect eggs frequently enough and crack open eggs for breakfast and find embryos.

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom