Incubating eggs in the classroom- 13 of 22 eggs alive...does this look normal?? Help!

laurenk16

Chirping
Apr 21, 2021
I am incubating eggs in my 6th-grade classroom. Today is day 13 and we candled the eggs. We started with 22 eggs. 9 of them were either not fertilized or died as a fetus. Is this normal? I am using a new incubator that I bought this year- Nurture Right 360. Last year we used an old styrofoam incubator that had a lot of issues and we had 0 eggs hatch, so I am really hoping for success this year! :) I included a video below of what the 13 eggs look like- does all look good? Thank you!! :)

Video of one of the chicks moving around in the egg:
https://drive.google.com/file/d/10THhBxmbeFm3NGwqFdPiVI4bij1Sl97d/view?usp=sharing

That's quite a bit to loose but it's not unusual. Have you calibrated your incubator? Where did you get the eggs?
The eggs are from the University of Illinois 4-H office. They do an embryology program every year and we pick the eggs up from their office.

Hi LK16,
I don't think that would be outrageous. Fertility, handling, age of the egg- you don't have much control over that.
Video looked good!
I just finished my first hatch this year and lost a bunch at 8-12 days incubation. Very surprising!
I'm going to watch my humidity early on next time, I suspect it was too low.
Keep us posted on your hatch.

That is what I was thinking as well, but I just wanted to make sure. But, where I live humidity is 68% on average, so I try to incubate at about 55%.

Back
Top Bottom