incubating eggs using a chicken that did not lay them?

lovmychicks

In the Brooder
7 Years
Oct 13, 2012
Is this possible I was considering getting some fertile eggs, once my girls are older and was wondering if they would sit on an egg that wasn't theirs, and if possible how can I tell which one would do it before getting the egg(s) so that I don't kill the egg for nothing? Or if I just get baby chicks from the feed store will my chickens when older take on a mother role to the babies or would I need to keep them apart till the babies are older and able to fend off the older chickens?

I am just so excited and in love with my babies that I would like more eventually, wish I could move to a farm and raise them free range lol.

Mine will be free range when old enough, for now I have to be outside with them or put them in a make shift pen for now since they are only 3 weeks old as long as I am home they love being in the pen where I can look out at them and they can be outside for a few hours a day.

If one of your hens go broody she would probably take on the task. But just taking fertile eggs and hoping that one would sit on them will probably not work. The hen usually has to be broody to do it.

If the hen/hens do not take on the mother role, you would have to be the mother yourself. Possibly even incubating and caring for the chicks in a brooder box until they are old enough to go out with the ladies!!!!

I hope this helps some.

Thank you so much for the advice.

Mine are still very small and in a brooder box (I really like the responsibility of raising them from babies) I just do not want to have to spend alot on an incubater if possible)
but out side for a few hours a day. I was just curious because when a question pops in my head I like to ask it while I remember and so I can plan ahead to decide if I should just continue getting them from the feed barn I go to.

Back
Top Bottom