incubating eggs

DEBMAC7373

Hatching
Jun 19, 2017
I am new at this. I am trying to learn more about incubating eggs. Do you wash the egg off with a solution before starting? So you don't take the chance of diseases?

:welcome!

Some people wash them, yes. Some people like to dip the eggs in a warm Oxine solution before they set the eggs, especially if they got them from another breeder that they aren't familiar with and are a little worried about diseases.

Personally I don't wash them. Mud doesn't hurt eggs. I've hatched eggs caked with mud. In the past I've also washed off eggs that were dirty with a little warm water and had them hatch fine. People say washing them will take the bloom off and let bacteria in, but I haven't had that experience personally.

I had 2 babies hatch last night and one was trying to break out himself. They were all died this morning. I still have more to hatch out in the next few days to come from the same incubator. those 3 hatch 2 days early than the 21 day incubation.

Hello and WELCOME!!! I would suggest not washing eggs before setting them, but I've never tried washing them before setting to see if they would still hatch - apparently they would. You gotta think though, sometimes eggs get wet in nature and still hatch.

As for the dead chicks, I'm very sorry to hear that. I'm not sure what happened there, could be that they just shouldn't have survived (Darwinism and all...). Hopefully the rest hatch out fine, good luck and keep us posted!!

I had 2 babies hatch last night and one was trying to break out himself. They were all died this morning. I still have more to hatch out in the next few days to come from the same incubator. those 3 hatch 2 days early than the 21 day incubation.
You had 2 to hatch out and they were dead Too this Morning?? Wonder why? Were they still in the incubator?

Yes I left them in incubator because they were still drying out from hatching
That's Good! Did they look ok? I was just wonder why they died unless they hatched with problems?? I just do not recall out of the 1000's I hatch---having a healthy hatched chick die in the incubator----Plus I leave mine in the incubator until the day after hatch date---meaning if one hatches a day of so early---its got a few days before it will be taken out.

Last edited:
Yes I left them in incubator because they were still drying out from hatching

It might have been a few things. A temp spike comes immediately to mind - that would kill both hatching chicks and already hatched chicks alike. Another possibility is squishy chick disease - an infected yolk sac. It would be odd if they both had it though.

Back
Top Bottom