Incubating Eggs

ENGEC35

In the Brooder
Mar 16, 2018
Hello all! I'm a new member with 10 speckled Sussex eggs in a cheap incubator.

We don't really know what we're doing-- new to this!

I believe 8 of my eggs are fertile as during candling on Day 7 I was able to see a "nucleus" type of thing floating around in them.

The 2 which I did not see this in, were also much less dark and seems to have a more watery consistence under the shell.

I worry we are handling them wrong so please let me know what you think!

Today is Day 10 and I candled again to be sure the two are still not developing (doesnt seem so) and the other 10 I checked again because I wanted to check the "air pocket" as I did not on day 7.

Today, while noticing the air pocket, I also noticed that all the eggs have very dark shadows on a little more than half the shell with the other side seeming like an air pocket. The issue I am wondering is, the position of the "air pocket" is virtually left or right of the egg, not the bottom (or top)

Is this supposed to be? The air pocket alongside the length of the egg and not the top or bottom?

We have had them laying in the incubator on their sides. NOT how they are in an egg carton.

Hope this all made sense! I look forward to the feedback so much!

Casey

Hi, I'm also new to incubating I have 5 duck eggs in the incubator now, so I know it can be confusing but I can give you some info that I have learned. When you candle the eggs are you seeing veining???

I will take some pictures later. I think i saw some veins on day 7. Today, day 10, I am just seeing darkness on one side of the eggs and light comes through from my candler on the other side. Vertically standing, left and right sides.

Are the chicks still developing, do you think? Will they be able to hatch if the air sacks are like this?

You should be seeing veining if it's day 10. I would go to the incubating forum they have pics of what the eggs look like when candling. Make sure you have the eggs with the smaller end pointing down so the air sac is in the big part of the egg.

You should be seeing veining if it's day 10. I would go to the incubating forum they have pics of what the eggs look like when candling. Make sure you have the eggs with the smaller end pointing down so the air sac is in the big part of the egg.

We’re using a small incubator and I have each egg laid on its side. I thought laying down sideways is how some incubators work? Is there any way we can correct this now so the chicks continue to develop?

Have you been turning the eggs regularly or does your incubator do it for you? Please also give temp and humidity range in your incubator!

Oh, duh! Lol the temp was set to 99.5 consistent until yesterday, I switched It to 99 even (read a half a degree lower would sex more females) and the humidity is not gauged on my incubator, but we keep what looks like a few tablespoons of water in the center pot at all times. It’s less than 1/4 filled. We turn the eggs 3-5 times daily and have the rest overnight on opposite sides as often as possible.

Back
Top Bottom