Incubating eggs

Krysten

Hatching
Jan 28, 2021
I'm new to incubating and candling. I have 2 im not sure about. Thats the only eggs I have to incubate. I have 2 khaki Campbell girls and one Rouen boy. Eggs every day. I also maybe have a stupid question but since we have a male and 2 ladies is every egg going to be fertile? So far I've been bringing in every egg and putting it in incubator and taking the obvious ones out that show no growth. I live in southwest Ohio if that matters with climate. I attached 2 pics. First one is from Saturday and I dont see any veins. 2nd one is from Sunday. No veins but an obvious red thing. Thanks

Attachments

• 20210128_094756.jpg
    20210128_094756.jpg
    203.6 KB · Views: 10
  • 20210128_094425.jpg
    20210128_094425.jpg
    207.3 KB · Views: 5
If your drake is successfully mating with girls, then the eggs will likely be fertile.

I don't have any experience hatching duck eggs (I just put my first batch in my incubator last night), but based on the couple of times I incubated chicken eggs I would say that #1 likely isn't going to develop and #2 is developing, but I would give it a few more days and candle them again.

This thread has a few pictures of developing eggs that may be helpful.
https://www.backyardchickens.com/threads/goose-incubation-hatching-guide-completed.491013/

Hopefully someone with more experience will come and reply.

If your drake is successfully mating with girls, then the eggs will likely be fertile.

I don't have any experience hatching duck eggs (I just put my first batch in my incubator last night), but based on the couple of times I incubated chicken eggs I would say that #1 likely isn't going to develop and #2 is developing, but I would give it a few more days and candle them again.

This thread has a few pictures of developing eggs that may be helpful.
https://www.backyardchickens.com/threads/goose-incubation-hatching-guide-completed.491013/

Hopefully someone with more experience will come and reply.
Thank you for reaching out!

It seems way too early to candle the eggs to see anything. Usually the earliest you want to is 7 days even then it can be hard to see. I usually wait until day 10 or so before I candle them. At this point you likely won't see much if anything.

The bottom egg is fertile but I agree that you are candling early. Also, why are you adding an egg a day, bad idea. Wait until you have several. A mother duck waits until she has a nest full before she incubates them by sitting on them. That way they all hatch at the same time. If one hatched a day or two before the rest, its peeping encourages the rest to hatch. In your case, that might be too early.
As for your other question, no, not every egg will necessarily be fertile. Your hen might have had a headache one day ;).

both look good, the first one looks fine to me, just a day too soon to see much. Good luck with them. The main downside to adding eggs day by day is that you need to keep track of when the eggs need to be stopped turning and you need to raise the humidity so if they all have different days for this to happen it can be challenging as you might end up providing too much for some or too little for others. But it can be done. Just aim for a humidity of 60% towards the end and place a damp sponge next to the ones that need higher humidity

Okay so I would collect your eggs then put them in (as others said)
Too early to tell on if they are both fertile. The second one honestly doesn’t seem right to me. When I hatch ducklings it’s more of a dark black with veins. Not bright red... I’d keep them in for a while longer. What is your temp and humidity at?
And not necessarily will all eggs be fertile. But it is likely they will be because drakes like their women

Back
Top Bottom