1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

incubating emu eggs-need advice please!!

Discussion in 'Ostriches, Emu, Rheas' started by ntiveheart, Jan 23, 2009.

1. kenny671

kenny671 Out Of The Brooder

May 2, 2008
    southwest ohio
    incubation period 50-56 days temp 97.5 humidity 30-35 last 3 days 50-55 stop turning eggs 49 days

2. nakedgoose

nakedgoose New Egg

Jan 26, 2009
    Thanks for the info about emu incubating..I have no trouble hatching chicks and Geese..but this is my first try with emus...the one question that I do have is how many times a day should they be turned..with my others it's been twice a day...emus not sure...

3. cutiepieacres

cutiepieacres Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 20, 2009
    S. CA
    I tried one once and the smell was more than enough to tell me that the egg was no longer viable. Good luck, baby emu are super cute!

4. ntiveheart

ntiveheart Chillin' With My Peeps

Quote:yup....that's what i'm doing. i so want these lil guys to hatch!
    my husband so doesn't LOL

5. Portia

Portia Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 29, 2008
    South Central PA
    oh Wow. I can't wait to see these critters! Keep us posted [​IMG]

6. kenny671

May 2, 2008
    southwest ohio
    if the legs spread out take a dish towel and wrap the towel around the body and the legs to keep them in tight for 12 to 24 hrs

7. leecey411

leecey411 Chillin' With My Peeps

May 31, 2007
    I have been turning mine night and day 4 , 5 or six time daily. I have been waking up at during the night to turn them, but I think I probably could wait to morning. Do birds turn their eggs in the middle of the night? I've hatched quail, chicks and ducks by hand turning so I thought Emus would be a hoot! I am on day 21, not quite half way yet. Thanks for the info everyone

8. kenny671

May 2, 2008
    southwest ohio
    when i turn my by hand i did it 3 times a day my uncle turn 4 times a day

9. 92caddy

92caddy Egg Lover

May 18, 2007
    Portland, IN
    We have 4 emu eggs in the bator and getting ready to set 4 more. The 1st 4 been in there going on 2 weeks. I have excess to a ultra sound machine, thats how Im going to candle them, when I find any that are not good, Im going to blow the egg out and save the shell. The sooner I find it bad, the better it is to blow the egg out.............best of luck on your emu eggies...........

10. nakedgoose

nakedgoose New Egg

Jan 26, 2009
    Thanks for the info..I guess I will turn them ( the emu eggs) 4 times a day...my neighbor gave me the eggs, she has 2 mated pairs and had a baby last year and he or she is REALLY CUTE...and very friendly.
    so we will see what happens..It'll be pretty cool if they hatch..I had a male when we lived in Calif and he was also very friendly..I only have 52 more days....UGH

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by