Incubating Guinea eggs

hhk

Hatching
Jun 20, 2019
I have guinea eggs in an incubator (took turner out yesterday) that are due to hatch today but nothing so far. Today is day 28. I received them in the mail. Here is my problem. In preparing the brooder for hatch day, I discovered the thermometer is a DUD!!! it goes up as the temp rises but will not go back down as it cools. I am afraid they may have gotten too cool. is there any chance at all of any hatching if they were down to 94 degrees or is it just a lost cause at this point? I am sooo disappointed!

I have guinea eggs in an incubator (took turner out yesterday) that are due to hatch today but nothing so far. Today is day 28. I received them in the mail. Here is my problem. In preparing the brooder for hatch day, I discovered the thermometer is a DUD!!! it goes up as the temp rises but will not go back down as it cools. I am afraid they may have gotten too cool. is there any chance at all of any hatching if they were down to 94 degrees or is it just a lost cause at this point? I am sooo disappointed!
Too cool is better than too hot, so a few drops in temperature might not have done too much harm. Were you able to candle them before lockdown?

Too cool is better than too hot, so a few drops in temperature might not have done too much harm. Were you able to candle them before lockdown?
No, I have never done that before. Not sure how or even what to look for. This is my first attempt at incubating eggs since I was a teenager... I'm OLD now! LOL! I was doing this for a young couple next door who wanted guineas. How long should I leave them in the incubator before I consider it a complete failure? Today is day 29.

Don't lose all hope yet. In my experience, (granted, this is only my second season - last year I hatched out over 50 and this year is shaping up to be even more along with a few geese) guinea keets tend to be somewhat forgiving and you'll likely always have some pull through and hatch. The fluctuations in temperature might mean that you won't end up with as big a clutch as you were anticipating, but, on the bright side, those that do hatch are likely to posses the genes you're looking for in your flock anyhow and you'll end up with guineas that are alert and active and excellent foragers. Keeping my fingers crossed for you!

post scriptum: what kind are they? standard pearls, lavenders, royal purples, or browns?

Don't lose all hope yet. In my experience, (granted, this is only my second season - last year I hatched out over 50 and this year is shaping up to be even more along with a few geese) guinea keets tend to be somewhat forgiving and you'll likely always have some pull through and hatch. The fluctuations in temperature might mean that you won't end up with as big a clutch as you were anticipating, but, on the bright side, those that do hatch are likely to posses the genes you're looking for in your flock anyhow and you'll end up with guineas that are alert and active and excellent foragers. Keeping my fingers crossed for you!

post scriptum: what kind are they? standard pearls, lavenders, royal purples, or browns?
Thank you! They are standard pearls. I put 12 in the incubator and will be happy with any at all!!

Back
Top Bottom