Incubating & hatching eggs

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by Sissy, Jan 17, 2009.

1. Sissy

Sissy Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 18, 2007
    Sevier county, Tn.
    after the little peeps hatch and the others are trying..
    you take the turner out and what do u put in its place I read some where I believe to put down some matting of some sort.
    that will keep the peeps from slipping..
    what type of mat.

2. william9792

william9792 Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 23, 2008
    graham, nc
    i always take my turner out on day 18 and put paper towles down in there and a spongeto bring the humidty up

3. FarmGirl01

FarmGirl01 Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 5, 2008
    AR
    Some people use the non-slip shelf liner. I used it on my quail chicks. They have really small feet. It kept them from falling thru the screen.

4. Boggy Bottom Bantams

Boggy Bottom Bantams Overrun With Chickens

Mar 9, 2008
    Hahira, GA
    What type of bator do you have?
    I use a lot of the hova bators, they have hardware cloth in the bottom of them (1/8"-1/4" wire mesh)
    Works great, gives them something to stand on, lets poop fall threw, and allows the incubator to still function properly, by not covering the water up or anything and lowering the humidity or obstructing the air flow.
    If yours didnt come with this, measure the bottom of your incubator, and then go to your local harware store and ask for their smallest hardware cloth mess in those dimensions.
    Good luck,
    Aubrey

5. Mrs MIA

Mrs MIA Chick Magnet

Mar 3, 2008
    Rubber shelf liner... put it in first, under the turner, so when you remove the turner at day 18 you don't leave the incubator open any longer than you have to. [​IMG]

6. SundownWaterfowl

SundownWaterfowl Overrun With Chickens

I put in a small washcloth in the middle.

7. Boggy Bottom Bantams

Boggy Bottom Bantams Overrun With Chickens

Mar 9, 2008
    Hahira, GA
    Ha that's amaseing, all these replys, and not the first one does the same thing, sounds like as long as they arent in the bottom of the actual incubator, you'll be fine
    LOL
    Aubrey
    Take that back, I see 2 use some form of a shelf liner? That's new

Last edited: Jan 17, 2009
  8. WriterofWords

WriterofWords Has Fainting Chickens

Dec 25, 2007
    Chaparral, New Mexico
    I bought a 15 yard roll of non-slip shelf-liner at Wal-Mart and I just cut a nice new piece rather than try and clean and sanitize the old ones. It's cheap and it works great. I found it at the Family Dollar last week and it was 25 yards for $5 so I bought 3 rolls,,,, just in case,, you know?

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by