incubating help, please..

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by lo0kitzsarah, Oct 10, 2013.

1. lo0kitzsarah

lo0kitzsarah New Egg

Jul 6, 2013
    Ok, I'm sure you've asked a dozen times, lol.. but this is day 23 and i was about to discard the 4 eggs that didn't hatch.. then 2 decided they were gonna pip. Ones bleeding? This is my first time incubating, 6 hatched and 4 died. Anyone know why my egg is bleeding? Thanks for any help. :)

2. houseofknauss

houseofknauss Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 17, 2013
    a blood vessel perhaps? I have had duck eggs hatch up to 7 days after I thought they were suppose to
    you can only wait and see what happens-make sure your temp and humidity are good. see what everyone else says

3. martinnoah

martinnoah Out Of The Brooder

May 27, 2012
    NS Canada
    if u have any black pepper grind it onto the bleeding and it might stop. black pepper stops bleeding great! good luck!

Last edited: Oct 10, 2013
  4. gimmie birdies

gimmie birdies Overrun With Chickens

Feb 12, 2013
    Eastern WA
    flour works too.

5. ronott1

ronott1 Daily Digest Guru Premium Member Project Manager

Mar 31, 2011
    Woodland, California
    My Coop
    First, It sounds like the incubation temperature was a bit too low. Bump it up half of a degree for the next hatch.

It is common for chicks to pip into a vein. A bit of blood is ok, but you need to make sure the chick can breath. The blood can plug the pip and drown the chick.

Carefully clear the pip to make sure the beak is clean and the chick can breath.

6. lo0kitzsarah

lo0kitzsarah New Egg

Jul 6, 2013
    Well after cleaning the egg off, i can't tell where its coming from.. no hole visible.. the temp in my incubator is 101f.. the others all hatched but only made it 1 day. I have 4 eggs left and 3 chicks. I have noticed a lil odor but can't tell if its an egg or leftover hatch goo. Thanks for all the help! :)

7. ronott1

ronott1 Daily Digest Guru Premium Member Project Manager

Mar 31, 2011
    Woodland, California
    My Coop
    Get a Brinsea Spot check. You can order it directly from their website. The condition of the chicks suggest that the temps were too low, so the thermometer may be off.

Other thermometers should be calibrated.

Good job on the hatch!

8. lo0kitzsarah

lo0kitzsarah New Egg

Jul 6, 2013
    Well after cleaning the egg off, i can't tell where its coming from.. no hole visible.. the temp in my incubator is 101f.. the others all hatched but only made it 1 day. I have 4 eggs left and 3 chicks. I have noticed a lil odor but can't tell if its an egg or leftover hatch goo. Thanks for all the help! :)

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by