Incubating in my bra

Oh well damn. I think #2 is the cracked one.
oh no GIF
I can't see what you see but I can tell by the one picture it was developing.

It does not look quit in this one picture.

Never set cracked eggs.
:he

Didn't realize it was cracked when I set it, as the first flash light I used was apparently not bright enough to show the cracks.

Do you have at least one calibrated thermometer in your bator?

Yes'm! It's been reading steady, no fluctuations besides when I open it to candle (I can add water without opening).

Didn't realize it was cracked when I set it, as the first flash light I used was apparently not bright enough to show the cracks.

Yes'm! It's been reading steady, no fluctuations besides when I open it to candle (I can add water without opening).
Leave it in.

Yeah the only one that looked like that is #3 to my (granted) unexperienced eye, and I'm pretty sure I saw movement as well. However, I think that the air sac may be at the pointy end.
No...that is not the air cell you are seeing down there. That area doesn't fill up with chick just yet.

And all too quickly it seems my go of it might be over. Here are the results of today's candling (day 9):

Bregg
View attachment 2522549
It looks like my bregg has quit early. However, it seems like most of these poor eggs have. :( This may simply be a poor time to try hatching mail eggs...I haven't had good luck with any of my mail order eggs in the last couple of months (but great hatches with local)

Former Bregg
View attachment 2522550
If this one even started, it seems to have quit.

Reg Egg #1
View attachment 2522551
Doesn't look too good for egg #1.

Reg Egg #2
View attachment 2522552
I'm sure the cracks didn't help, but Reg Egg #2 is definitely done at this point. I've removed it.

Reg Egg #3
View attachment 2522553
This one looks alive! But I think they may be a loner. :(

Reg Egg #4
View attachment 2522556
Something might be going on in this one, but I'm not sure. It doesn't look like the other one that's definitely developing.

Reg Egg #5
View attachment 2522557
Definitely an early quit or dud.

Reg Egg #6
View attachment 2522558
This was one of the ones with a detached air cell. It stank and was oozy so...it's out.

Reg Egg #7
View attachment 2522559
This is the one I'm pretty sure was scrambled when I candled last time, but I wasn't sure. Does it start to settle over time?

Reg Egg #8
View attachment 2522561
Pretty sure this one is also an early quitter. I don't think I'm going to do any more mail order egg hatches until this business with USPS calms down...

So it looks like I only have one viable quail egg left...which is a bit sad. They need buddies, right? Looks like I'm gonna need to find them a friend if they hatch.

I have some local fresh fertile eggs that I'm about to set separately. They gave me an extra in case of duds...might just pop that one in there. Gotta look at my calendar though, I pretty much just had enough time to hatch a quail if this worked out before gardening got crazy again. May just have to wait till summer time for another go. Not that I've taken the bregg out yet. Waiting for everyone else to chime in with their opinions of these candle...ings? Candlings? Eh. :idunno
Thank you @TheAlrightyGina for keeping us updated.

Back
Top Bottom