Incubating in my bra

Do you keep your room extra warm for this? I've thought about that kind of thing before...if it's a small room it wouldn't be too hard to keep a space heater going to up the ambient temperature high enough to avoid drastic dips when opening the incubator. I have mine in a small basement room; since it's in a basement there isn't much temperature change through out the day and the surrounding humidity is higher as well.
No I do not keep it warm. I keep it steady. Steady is the key if you keep it steady then your incubator doesn't have to work hard.

Do you keep your room extra warm for this? I've thought about that kind of thing before...if it's a small room it wouldn't be too hard to keep a space heater going to up the ambient temperature high enough to avoid drastic dips when opening the incubator. I have mine in a small basement room; since it's in a basement there isn't much temperature change through out the day and the surrounding humidity is higher as well.
My incubator's instructions say it should be kept in a room with an ambient temp that never dips below 72 degrees Fahrenheit and never above 80

My incubator's instructions say it should be kept in a room with an ambient temp that never dips below 72 degrees Fahrenheit and never above 80
What temperature do you keep your house thermostat set at? It's friggin' cold out here. Pushing sub-zero outdoor temps with -25° wind chills :( I put my chooks inside the basement earlier today cause it's pretty bad. I keep my thermostat set at 74° F, which is much hotter/higher than I'm used to (68°F I think is perfect normal house temp) but I have it higher cause we have quite a few tropical plants & fish as well that don't fare well in cold or dry weather.

Last edited by a moderator:
What temperature do you keep your house thermostat set at? It's friggin' cold out here. Pushing sub-zero outdoor temps with -25° wind chills :( I put my chooks inside the basement earlier today cause it's pretty bad. I keep my thermostat set at 74° F, which is much hotter/higher than I'm used to (68°F I think is perfect normal house temp) but I have it higher cause we have quite a few tropical plants & fish as well that don't fare well in cold or dry weather.
68 is what we usually keep it at but I wont be incubating til Spring.

Ah, yeah same here. I was working on trying to incubate some LOxRIR eggs but weather isn't cooperating. Will have to try again once it's warmer.
Its just too cold wear we are right now to maintain the temp in the house. We had a polar vortex come through here and it hasnt gotten above 20 for the past week. Indiana is a lazy state that waits and crams all winter into one month

Its just too cold wear we are right now to maintain the temp in the house. We had a polar vortex come through here and it hasnt gotten above 20 for the past week. Indiana is a lazy state that waits and crams all winter into one month

Indiana ain't the only one. We haven't had winter weather here for the most part this year, now it's colder than normal (15 degrees is the low threshold for this area, it's gonna get down to 3 this week). At least it might kill off some of the mosquitoes and flies so this year ain't as bad...

Okay everybody last candle (day 14), with the eggs that showed promise last time per Kiki (clears and nasty ones discarded). I took extra pictures to be helpful and because there are less eggs this time.

Reg Egg #1:
Reg Egg 1-1.JPG
Reg Egg 1-2.JPG

I'm not sure, but this doesn't look good to me.

Reg Egg #2
Reg Egg 2-1.JPG

Reg Egg 2-2.JPG

Reg Egg 2-3.JPG

I don't really see anything in this one at all, anymore.

Reg Egg #3
Reg Egg 3 - 1.JPG

Reg Egg 3-2.JPG
Reg Egg 3-3.JPG

I tried, but the light couldn't really get through this one, because the chick is filling the whole egg. Definitely filled up more than last time, so I think this one's actually gonna hatch!

Reg Egg #4
Reg Egg 4-1.JPG

Reg Egg 4-2.JPG

Reg Egg 4-3.JPG

Definitely something was going on in this one...I don't know if it quit or is just really behind. Please advise, @Kiki! Also...what am I gonna do if just the one hatches? Quail are like chickens in that they need company, right? Do I just need to...keep them with me till they get bigger or I can get a few more?

Okay everybody last candle (day 14), with the eggs that showed promise last time per Kiki (clears and nasty ones discarded). I took extra pictures to be helpful and because there are less eggs this time.

Reg Egg #1:
View attachment 2529199View attachment 2529200
I'm not sure, but this doesn't look good to me.

Reg Egg #2
View attachment 2529201
View attachment 2529202
View attachment 2529204
I don't really see anything in this one at all, anymore.

Reg Egg #3
View attachment 2529205
View attachment 2529209View attachment 2529210
I tried, but the light couldn't really get through this one, because the chick is filling the whole egg. Definitely filled up more than last time, so I think this one's actually gonna hatch!

Reg Egg #4
View attachment 2529211
View attachment 2529212
View attachment 2529213
Definitely something was going on in this one...I don't know if it quit or is just really behind. Please advise, @Kiki! Also...what am I gonna do if just the one hatches? Quail are like chickens in that they need company, right? Do I just need to...keep them with me till they get bigger or I can get a few more?
These are in the bator right? Or are they being boobcubated?

Back
Top Bottom