Incubating in my bra

Today is day 13 of my 5 coturnix quail eggs. They should hatch later this week. They are incredibly active and have been in my bra 24/7 minus quick 15 min showers. If anyone was questioning on exactly how I’m doing this/how it works/feels worries and concerns please @ or pm me I’m happy to help. I’m also doing this with a chicken egg but I made a wearable incubater powered by my own heat.

Today is day 13 of my 5 coturnix quail eggs. They should hatch later this week. They are incredibly active and have been in my bra 24/7 minus quick 15 min showers. If anyone was questioning on exactly how I’m doing this/how it works/feels worries and concerns please @ or pm me I’m happy to help. I’m also doing this with a chicken egg but I made a wearable incubater powered by my own heat.
Hi Lucky20, did your 5 bracubated coturnix quail eggs and your chicken egg hatch?

Posted this in my own thread but thought you all might be interested! This experiment happened in 2021

TLDR: It works, but not that well. (which we all knew by now lol)

This was my junior year of college, and I wanted to witness "the miracle of life" so I bought an incubator and some quail eggs. I was intrigued by the whole bracubation thing, so I gave it a try. It was clearly working, so I recruited 13 other women from my university to try to hatch eggs using bracubation.

I consulted with two ornithologists and a community agriculture professor to optimize conditions. The main consensus: if you do this, you must wrap the egg in a layer of breathable material, and change/clean it often. In my experiment, we used a piece of toilet paper or tissue and changed it every 8 hours or so. This kept our skin's oil from smothering the egg, kept it clean, and allowed it a small layer of air. Your body naturally turns the egg as you move positions, but some people tilted it every 8 hours or so.

Here are the results:

20 eggs total (some people had 2-3 eggs per bra)

10 eggs were dropped. This was the highest cause of mortality in the experiment, and it usually occurred while the person was switching out the tissue. All cracked eggs broke in the first 7 days.
1 egg cracked in a bra. Although this was the largest concern of participants, the only egg to crack in a bra did so while the person was skiing (face-palm moment)
2 eggs did not develop at all, and I suspect infertility
2 eggs developed blood rings around day 5 or 6.
5 eggs made it to hatch day, which was much later than the parallel eggs hatching in the incubator. Quail eggs hatch on day 18-21. On day 22...

2 eggs pipped
1 egg hatched all the way.

Honestly, it was a lot of work, very cool, and I don't regret it. I also went a little viral on tiktok which was fun.

When it comes down to it though, this is not the best way to hatch eggs. I had (not counting the broken eggs) a little over a 10% success rate, compared to the 60% success rate with the same batch of eggs in my cheap incubator.

If you really don't have another option, or just feel like doing a science experiment, let me know though, and I can DM you my research.

2 years later I'm considering trying it with chicken eggs. Don't know if I'll follow through, but if I do, you'll hear about it lol.

Posted this in my own thread but thought you all might be interested! This experiment happened in 2021

This was my junior year of college, and I wanted to witness "the miracle of life" so I bought an incubator and some quail eggs. I was intrigued by the whole bracubation thing, so I gave it a try. It was clearly working, so I recruited 13 other women from my university to try to hatch eggs using bracubation.

I consulted with two ornithologists and a community agriculture professor to optimize conditions. The main consensus: if you do this, you must wrap the egg in a layer of breathable material, and change/clean it often. In my experiment, we used a piece of toilet paper or tissue and changed it every 8 hours or so. This kept our skin's oil from smothering the egg, kept it clean, and allowed it a small layer of air. Your body naturally turns the egg as you move positions, but some people tilted it every 8 hours or so.

Here are the results:

10 eggs were dropped. This was the highest cause of mortality in the experiment, and it usually occurred while the person was switching out the tissue. All cracked eggs broke in the first 7 days.
1 egg cracked in a bra. Although this was the largest concern of participants, the only egg to crack in a bra did so while the person was skiing (face-palm moment)
5 eggs made it to hatch day, which was much later than the parallel eggs hatching in the incubator. Quail eggs hatch on day 18-21. On day 22...

2 eggs pipped

Honestly, it was a lot of work, very cool, and I don't regret it. I also went a little viral on tiktok which was fun.

When it comes down to it though, this is not the best way to hatch eggs. I had (not counting the broken eggs) a little over a 10% success rate, compared to the 60% success rate with the same batch of eggs in my cheap incubator.

If you really don't have another option, or just feel like doing a science experiment, let me know though, and I can DM you my research.

2 years later I'm considering trying it with chicken eggs. Don't know if I'll follow through, but if I do, you'll hear about it lol.
That is a really interesting experiment!
… would you mind telling me what your TikTok was?

Here are the results:

2 eggs pipped

OMG, I love ❤️ it!

Back
Top Bottom