Incubating mail order eggs in the summer

Sezdia

In the Brooder
Oct 24, 2020
Hi everyone. I am expecting some silkie hatching eggs to arrive in the mail in two days. This is my first time attempting to hatch eggs received in the mail. Can anyone confirm for me how long I should let them sit pointy end down before putting them in the incubator? I have ready anywhere from 4-24 hours. Also, considering it is summertime and we live in northern wisconsin where the temps are all over the map, what is the best placement for an incubator? What time of room/environment would be best?

thank you!

I recently hatched some mail order Dominique eggs. I let them sit for 24 hours. In my opinion, the best place to place an incubator, is an area where you have as consistent a temperature and humidity level as possible. For example, a laundry room would not be a good place as the moisture level and temperature fluctuates significantly when doing laundry. You also would not want it directly near an Ac vent that can cause large temperature swings. You want the environment as stable as possible, so the temperature and humidity in your incubator will stay as stable as possible. And obviously you would not want it in direct sunlight.

I recently hatched some mail order Dominique eggs. I let them sit for 24 hours. In my opinion, the best place to place an incubator, is an area where you have as consistent a temperature and humidity level as possible. For example, a laundry room would not be a good place as the moisture level and temperature fluctuates significantly when doing laundry. You also would not want it directly near an Ac vent that can cause large temperature swings. You want the environment as stable as possible, so the temperature and humidity in your incubator will stay as stable as possible. And obviously you would not want it in direct sunlight.
Thank you so much. I was just about to get it set up and warmed up in the laundry area since it has no windows and no vents but I will find a different location with stable temps! Thanks again!

Do you have a way to check the temp of the eggs when they arrive? Like a laser thermometer? If they arrive hot from sitting in a sweltering truck, you should put them right into the bator and not let them cool, but keep the turner off for 24-48 hours. If they’re relatively cool, then go ahead and let them rest.

All good advice shipped eggs during the summer is a very difficult to hatch. Ordered 12 serama eggs last summer 3 hatched. They were unfortunately 3 angry hot roos. We with incubator definitely place the incubator for drafts and direct sunlight. If you can have a room that's dark that the best bet. Also if you have a decent incubator the humidity and temp flucations should affect it too much. But do not put it in a room where it gets hotter than the incubator itself. Make sure you dail in the incubator with your temp and desired humidity at least 8hrs in my experience 24 hours is ideal. Also shipped eggs are tike sensitive 48hrs is preferred to let them rest pointy side down. The major problem is how long it took to ship, the egg collection dates all make this a very difficult to do that way. 24hrs is usually the best I've done 12 with similar results due to post office being late. Basically after seven days eggs lose fertility considerably. So keep your fingers crossed and expect a roo if it does hatch they are survivors lol

All good advice shipped eggs during the summer is a very difficult to hatch. Ordered 12 serama eggs last summer 3 hatched. They were unfortunately 3 angry hot roos. We with incubator definitely place the incubator for drafts and direct sunlight. If you can have a room that's dark that the best bet. Also if you have a decent incubator the humidity and temp flucations should affect it too much. But do not put it in a room where it gets hotter than the incubator itself. Make sure you dail in the incubator with your temp and desired humidity at least 8hrs in my experience 24 hours is ideal. Also shipped eggs are tike sensitive 48hrs is preferred to let them rest pointy side down. The major problem is how long it took to ship, the egg collection dates all make this a very difficult to do that way. 24hrs is usually the best I've done 12 with similar results due to post office being late. Basically after seven days eggs lose fertility considerably. So keep your fingers crossed and expect a roo if it does hatch they are survivors lol
Ha ha! Yeah I would not be shocked at all if whatever did manage to hatch were roos. That is my typical luck with silkies to begin with! We have 4 little fluffy roo butts floating around here already, so that would 100% be my luck. Thank you for your input!

24 hours for sure, 48 is better if you can swing it with the eggs' ages but often isn't practical. Shipping in summer is awful hot, I wouldn't be too disappointed if they don't do super well.

I'd try to find an interior closet, like a linen closet.
Thank you! Yes I don’t expect a 100% successful hatch rate, but hoping we get lucky with one or two.

Do you have a way to check the temp of the eggs when they arrive? Like a laser thermometer? If they arrive hot from sitting in a sweltering truck, you should put them right into the bator and not let them cool, but keep the turner off for 24-48 hours. If they’re relatively cool, then go ahead and let them rest.
Yes I do have a laser thermometer. I didn’t even think of that. Thank you for that tip!

Back
Top Bottom