Incubating Muscovy Eggs--What day should I toss?

DRaeMc

In the Brooder
Apr 9, 2015
La Grange, KY
I'm going to apologize if this is in the wrong place. I haven't started a thread before, but have lurked signed in and not for over a year. Most of my questions have been answered without asking anything thanks to a quick google search and reading through the threads.

I've collected and set eggs from my own birds, and it's been cold here and from what I've read that eggs that are cold may take longer to incubate. I'm aware that Muscovies take 35 days, but what I can't find is a chart for candling Muscovy eggs. I can find a candling day by day with chickens and mallard type ducks, but not one for Muscovies.

So my question is when should I toss them if I don't see development? Which day is the normal day that you can clearly see a veins? It's only day 6 here for us and I have 3 of them that are clearly growing, but want to make sure that I give them plenty of time if they were slowed due to the cold. Would day 10 be safe or maybe day 12. I just don't want to leave them too long and have them explode in the bator. I had an egg explode on me last week at my aunts when I was checking on the eggs that were under one of her hens. There is no way I'm going to go through that again. I don't think the smell will ever leave my memory.

If anyone has a candling chart that would be super. I'd love to see it.

Last edited:
I'm going to apologize if this is in the wrong place. I haven't started a thread before, but have lurked signed in and not for over a year. Most of my questions have been answered without asking anything thanks to a quick google search and reading through the threads.

I've collected and set eggs from my own birds, and it's been cold here and from what I've read that eggs that are cold may take longer to incubate. I'm aware that Muscovies take 35 days, but what I can't find is a chart for candling Muscovy eggs. I can find a candling day by day with chickens and mallard type ducks, but not one for Muscovies.

So my question is when should I toss them if I don't see development? Which day is the normal day that you can clearly see a veins? It's only day 6 here for us and I have 3 of them that are clearly growing, but want to make sure that I give them plenty of time if they were slowed due to the cold. Would day 10 be safe or maybe day 12. I just don't want to leave them too long and have them explode in the bator. I had an egg explode on me last week at my aunts when I was checking on the eggs that were under one of her hens. There is no way I'm going to go through that again. I don't think the smell will ever leave my memory.

If anyone has a candling chart that would be super. I'd love to see it.
If all the eggs are at day 6 and you can see development in three chances are that is all that will develop. I'd wait a few more days to be sure. In my experience it is eggs that have died in development that tend to go bad and explode and not those that are infertile. I believe you are safe in waiting until day 10 or 12. Good luck.

Back
Top Bottom