Incubating muscovy- small air cell at day 24? HELP!

ALHmama

Chirping
5 Years
Jun 18, 2014
Central NC
This is our first time incubating Muscovy duck eggs and we're currently on day 24. The embyos are growing well and look fantastic, but I cant seem to get the air cell to grow. I have tried lowering the humidity.. I didn't get a humidity thermometer until about day 14, realized it was pretty high and got it down to about 55-60% (removing water and opening the other vent plug) since then, but the air cell is staying small. I have lowered it even as low as 25-30% (by taking all the water out) and still the air cell is the same. What can I do!? My kids are SO looking forward to this. We have 5 eggs set to hatch around June 30-July1, and another 4 set to hatch a week later (the air cells all look the same). I am hoping we at least have a few babies for them!

Keep the humidity low and fingers crossed
fl.gif

How low should I try to keep the humidity? And for how long? I know I need to bump it up around day 32...
Right now Ive had it at 41% since yesterday afternoon and no change

Pic-today day 25 humidity is 35% now except when I mist them, it goes up a bit for a few hours

Last edited:
I would keep it low until I see internal pips from the ducklings and then bump it a bit. They will need the high humidity when they start hatching, before then it's not so important. I've had chicks busy hatching on day 18 when I went to turn them one last time before lockdown and they were fine.

Thanks! How low is too low? Or is there such a thing in this case? How high should I bump it after the first internal pip?

Also, I have a second set of 4 eggs that are a week behind these in the same incubator... Will the increase in humidity and slight decrease in temp be ok for them? I realize now, that that wasn't the best idea.. but like I said.. were newbies
hmm.png

Back
Top Bottom