incubating on the heater on low

irenew

In the Brooder
10 Years
Jun 26, 2009
can this be done
will it work out
My mother demanded that she have two of my hens, my only two lavender araucanas. And I was a sucker and agreed to let her have them.

Also I found out that my third araucana hen was a roo,so he had to go too-(sent him off to a farm before he started crowing).I knew that he had relations with the girls so when I sent the girls to my mum I kept some of the eggs and hoped one of the other hens I have would go clucky- they haven't.

So after 10 days I put my eggs in a shoebox of the heater on low and have turned them regularly. That was two weeks ago and when I candle the eggs( torch with a toilet roll on the end) I see a dark shape moving around inside.

So I am a bit worried regarding this last week and the humidity factor --any sugestions on how to make sure they get out their eggs OK in such a make-shift way?

Because you're using a shoe box, I would place the sponge inside an open sandwich bag. That way it won't wet the cardboard, but will still emit th moisture.

Also, you should find some way to seal up the gap between the lid and bottom to keep the moisture in. Perhaps you should put some foam or paper towels, something squishy, on the bottom edge so that when you place the top on it forms a seal of some sort? You don't want airtight, but tighter than regular. Perhaps you could cut a hole in the top like regular incubators have for venting?

Not sure, just trying to help. I don't have much experience, I'm just going on the design of my incubator.

Just definitely do what you can to keep the cardboard from getting mushy.

Laney

Hi

I just put a small thermal cup with water in the bottom but i will put a sponge in the top to help disapate the moisture hopefully. Yes I am worried the chicks won't make it out because the egg shells on these eggs are just so hard and the white membrane are so tough that I can cut myself on just trying to break them.

Under the shoe box is several layers of paper and cardboard so that the heat doesn't get too direct, I still worry about fluctuations, on topp is batting and a jumper so that air might circulate,
It is such a silly thing to do but none of my hens would go clucky. I am still holding out some hope that one might do so at the last minute and I can pass her the eggs to "finish them"
hmm.png

Becareful with the cupful of water........I did the same to increase the humidity and a baby hatched and drowned.
hit.gif

I will never make that mistake again.

Here's to luck
fl.gif
I like clucky as an expression for broody. Wanted to say I'd seriously kill for the opportunity to go to NZ and we're still trying to save toward it.

When I was in the Army we did yearly training exercises with NZ and AU and a more charming group of people I have never met (particularly the NZ guys - shh).

I ended up with a deep fondness for NZ having never set foot there and can't wait. Then I met a professional clay potter from there and he had pictures of his home - omg. And then the scenery from The Lord of the Rings and yeah, I'm getting there eventually
love.gif

May your hatch go well, may you become addicted like the rest of us nuts and end up with a good incubator in the long run
hide.gif
thumbsup.gif
hide.gif

Back
Top Bottom