Incubating postal eggs

Sunflower247

In the Brooder
Mar 29, 2023
Hello, I'm hoping someone can help me, I have silkies eggs that ended up being posted to me after 3 weeks of back and forth with what I now know was an untrustworthy seller, my problem is I have never hached my own eggs and she told me to just let them rest in the box for 8 hours then pop them in the incubator and all would be fine, I did so and now I just read they should have rested for 24 to 48 hours.
I'm worried they will all die now as most of them were dated over 10 days old... Is there any hope? I got 24 from another seller the same day and put them in with only 8 hours rest too.

Based on the condition of the situation, since you have them in the incubator. Grab an empty egg carton and put the eggs in the carton, small end down and place it in the incubator.

Don't move the eggs for 3 days, after 3 days remove the eggs out of the carton. Have them lay on it's side and start turning them. Then you need to candle the eggs on day 6 or 7 to identify if they are alive.

Also keep your hands washed and clean every time you handle the eggs.

Ideally, they should rest a day or so but 8 hours shouldn't be too bad. Did you candle to see how bad the aircells were?
No I didn't, I'm completely new to this and did not realise the air cells could move or get scrambled, rather awful learning curve.

Welcome To BYC

I usually allow for an overnight rest on shipped eggs, but I think 8 hours may be o.k.

At this point, it's worth seeing how well they do. Hopefully you'll have a successful hatch!

Based on the condition of the situation, since you have them in the incubator. Grab an empty egg carton and put the eggs in the carton, small end down and place it in the incubator.

Don't move the eggs for 3 days, after 3 days remove the eggs out of the carton. Have them lay on it's side and start turning them. Then you need to candle the eggs on day 6 or 7 to identify if they are alive.

Good idea!

OK, thank you for the detailed instructions, I will do this now, many thanks

Welcome To BYC

I usually allow for an overnight rest on shipped eggs, but I think 8 hours may be o.k.

At this point, it's worth seeing how well they do. Hopefully you'll have a successful hatch!
Thank you, I'm holding out hope, feel awful if they die because of my mistakes, hopefully I can add photos of healthy happy chicks in 21 days

This is how I hatch shipped eggs now. I've had the best results doing it this way.

But of course you will have the infertile eggs and bloodrings that sometimes happen.

No I didn't, I'm completely new to this and did not realise the air cells could move or get scrambled, rather awful learning curve.

Thank you, I'm holding out hope, feel awful if they die because of my mistakes, hopefully I can add photos of healthy happy chicks in 21 days
It won't be because of you, a good egg seller should have told you these things as shipped eggs are handled differently.

Back
Top Bottom