Incubating questions? Temperature too hot?

dxkchicks

Hatching
11 Years
Feb 13, 2008
Okay, so I've been preheating my incubator to the right temperature. I have two of the same thermostats in there. One is sitting on the grill mesh at the bottom of the incubator, and one is on a metal stand which is at the level of the top of the egg. I have a still air incubator with an automatic turner.

The top thermostat reads about 103 degree Fahrenheit, but the bottom thermostat reads just under 99 degree Fahrenheit.

Should I lower the temp or leave it? Any advice would be appreciated.

I think you're getting pretty close on temps, maybe a bit warm. Can you reverse the position of your thermometers to see if you still get the same readings? There are often a degree or two differences even between "good" thermometers
sad.png

I put in another thermometer and the average seems to be around 100 degree F. But for some reason an hour later after I put in the eggs the top thermometer read 105 degree F.

It was like that heat for about an hour. Are my eggs done for?

Not if you just put the eggs in......the temps should have fallen not gone up....and it takes hours for the bator to come back up to correct temps and humidity after putting in the eggs.......try adjusting your temps down.....ideal would be 101....my opinion....

It sounds like your thermometer was absorbing more radiant heat than the eggs. I doubt if your eggs were anywhere near that hot. You should be ok.
smile.png

Sounds good. The top thermometer is a $9 acu-rite from walmart the other two are miller mfg thermometer that came with my two incubators. I adjust it down a little and temperature is pretty steady at 99.5 degrees now on the millers thermometer and about 101 degrees on the acu-rite. I'll keep you guys updated on the hatch.
big_smile.png

Back
Top Bottom