Incubating Serama Eggs, Button Quail Eggs.

Serama

In the Brooder
10 Years
Jun 10, 2009
Alberta, CANADA
Hey Everyone i just thought i could maybe post this on here for possibly some suggestions and help, looks like quite the big helpful site. Ive had 8 serama eggs, 8 button quail eggs, and 1 silkie egg, and 1 pheasant egg since april 23rd. Today is day 18, ive had the temp hovering at 99.5 - 100.5 but for some odd dumb reason i woke up and it was at 105...very bad i know.(Humidity 50%-60%) Well so far 1 of the buttons egg is fully busted all the way around one side, the little bugger has been working on it for 3 days or so and he hasnt made the escape yet, the only mistake i made was i didnt know that the buttons took 16 days so i was turning the eggs till day 16 when i found out that they only took 16 days. I will keep ya'll informed and let ya know how it goes, and please comment and gimme some tips because im kind of new to this... and will i/ should i help the buttons or serama etc out of their shell if requried.
P.S - I candeled the eggs about 5 days ago and there was a definate embryo in there and some you couldnt even see through with the light because possibly the body was taking up all the space thanks in advance!!!
big_smile.png

Usually buttons hatch very quick I have got them out of the incubator and went and put them in the brooder just to come back and have to get a couple more out now the serama I think takes a little bit longer to hatch and i know the pheasant does take longer to hatch than the silkie. After the buttons hatch off you will need to get them out after they dry off because unlike chicks they cant make it for days in the incubator they will starve to death. Hope this helps

I just hatched my first mini-flock of Serama. "They" tell you that the eggs take 18 days, and I thought that was perfect for my patience threshold. Those jokers took all of 21 days, don't you know! Maybe I did something wrong, maybe it was just these guys. I was getting so antsy that I actually put a stethescope against the incubator to see if I could hear some action. My next hatch they better spring out of their shells, on time, fully feathered, with a wide- winged "ta daa"! Good luck.

thanks jb and cw, the buttons i might have screwed them up by turning them until day 16, im looking at that one that peeped the whole one side of the egg, hasnt changed for a few days... wonder if hed finaly have enough of it and spring out but not yet.

tks

Just a few pics of the incubator 5 min ago.

DSCF2380.jpg

DSCF2381.jpg

DSCF2382.jpg

DSCF2383.jpg

DSCF2384.jpg

This is my home made incubator and the quail egg thats fully cracked is the one in the middle kind of under the light, hard to see because the cracked side is mainly down but hope a few pics help.

Last edited:
yea you just never know, im just hoping for some to hatch and i will be so happy. it all depens on many factors, the parents the quailty of the genes the incubator controls... etc.

NOW I CAN SEE THE SECOND QUAIL POKING IT WAY OUT. IM SOOO IMPRESSED !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
big_smile.png
big_smile.png
thumbsup.gif
woot.gif
woot.gif
fl.gif
fl.gif
fl.gif

Last edited:
Watch out because my first quail egg looked like that and i got worried cause it didn't move for hours and it was already out lol i felt like an idiot
lau.gif

Back
Top Bottom