Incubating shipped BCM and Welsummer eggs

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by alaskanchickens, Feb 13, 2014.

1. alaskanchickens

alaskanchickens Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 21, 2014
    South central Alaska
    I will be setting my first eggs tomorrow, Black Copper Marans and Welsummers. I have read many different threads about how to incubate shipped vs non and Marans vs "regular" eggs and now I'm all kinds of confused! I thought I had it all figured out and knew exactly what I was going to do; put all eggs in cartons, pointy end down, with the bottoms cut out for ventilation, allow them to warm to room temperature then place them, carton and all, in the bator and leave for 3 days with no turning. On the 4th day start "tilting" them in the carton with a humidity level of 35-45% and temp at 99.5-100.5(my bator is steady at 98.8-100.8 on the digital and 100-101 on the mercury one) and then remove the cartons and lay eggs on sides for "lockdown" with humidity at 65%. I have a tendency to over think, or over research in this situation, and get myself all worried! I want this hatch to be as successful as possible! I have now read that because of the thickness and color of the egg that dry hatching is best, 25-35% humidity then up to 45-55% for lockdown and temps a solid degree higher throughout for sufficient weight loss. Any advice would be greatly appreciated! Like I said, this is my first hatch, EVER, and I had to pick what I'm now thinking to be one of the hardest breeds to hatch! Thank you all in advance for any thoughts, tips, tricks, anything you can offer!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by