Incubating Silver pheasant (Lophura nycthemera) and vietnamese pheasant (Lophura edwardsi)

Edwiges

Chirping
Jan 6, 2019
Hello everyone, I hope you're healthy.

I recently began breeding silver and edwards pheasant and, since I'm new to the Lophura genus I intend to keep close watch on embryo development during incubation. Therefore, I am trying to weight the eggs during incubation to assess weight loss and keep humidity ajusted.
So I'm on 5th day of incubation and the average weight loss on fertile eggs of the silver pheasant is 2,13% (6 eggs - one lost 4% and another 0%, the other 4 are within the 2,13 range). The edwards pheasants however, lost an average of 4,79% (2 eggs - one lost 3% the other almost 6,6%).
My question is, are these results within acceptable range? If not, what could be done to improove the situation?

Have a nice day and thank you for your time,

Hello everyone, I hope you're healthy.

I recently began breeding silver and edwards pheasant and, since I'm new to the Lophura genus I intend to keep close watch on embryo development during incubation. Therefore, I am trying to weight the eggs during incubation to assess weight loss and keep humidity ajusted.
So I'm on 5th day of incubation and the average weight loss on fertile eggs of the silver pheasant is 2,13% (6 eggs - one lost 4% and another 0%, the other 4 are within the 2,13 range). The edwards pheasants however, lost an average of 4,79% (2 eggs - one lost 3% the other almost 6,6%).
My question is, are these results within acceptable range? If not, what could be done to improove the situation?

Have a nice day and thank you for your time,
Do you have, or use several calibrated thermometers and hygrometers, independent of the incubators sensors, placed in various areas of the incubator? What brand of incubator(s) are you using?

Variations in humidity inside the incubator can effect the weight loss, as well as the porosity of the egg shell can effect the weight loss or the lack thereof!

I set my temperature at 100°F and the humidity at 43 - 45% for the first 21 to 23 days. I increase the humidity to 55 -60% the remaining 3 to 4 days of incubation.
I have never used the weighing method, to determine correct humidity levels and/or weight loss...so I'm not much help in evaluating your situation.

Do you have, or use several calibrated thermometers and hygrometers, independent of the incubators sensors, placed in various areas of the incubator? What brand of incubator(s) are you using?

Variations in humidity inside the incubator can effect the weight loss, as well as the porosity of the egg shell can effect the weight loss or the lack thereof!

I set my temperature at 100°F and the humidity at 43 - 45% for the first 21 to 23 days. I increase the humidity to 55 -60% the remaining 3 to 4 days of incubation.
I have never used the weighing method, to determine correct humidity levels and/or weight loss...so I'm not much help in evaluating your situation.
I have currently one thermometer and one hygrometer inside the incubator.
Temperature keeps constant at 99.7 ºF with minor oscilations (0.2 ºF). As for humidiy, I've been keeping it constant at ~42-43%.
I use a Brinsea Octagon 20 ego model.

Back
Top Bottom