incubating turkey eggs question

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by skyehunter85, Apr 26, 2017.

1. skyehunter85

skyehunter85 Out Of The Brooder

Jun 24, 2016
    Hi I'm.wondering a few things. Does it matter if the eggs touch each other in the incubator? Both for incubating and for hatching? I'm not using a Turner but doing it by hand. Basically I'm wondering if I need to space them.out so they aren't touching especially when hatching.. thanx

2. Erka97

Erka97 Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 30, 2017
    No, I don't think you do.. I had a broody turkey once, many years ago now, and as I remember her eggs were touching in the nest. She was killed by some kind of wild animal before they would have hatched, and I don't think they were fertile anyway, but in general eggs touching isn't a problem since they naturally would in the nest.

3. ChickenChaser43

ChickenChaser43 Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 21, 2016
    Central Pa
    For incubating the only issue with them touching may make it a little more difficult to turn the eggs. Hatching issue would be if the hatch is staggered. Eggs that hatch early tend to have chicks or poults that may disturb other eggs that have not hatched. I am only assuming that if a chick has positioned itself to hatch and starts to pip, that being rolled, can possibly disrupt the hatching process. In a natural nesting situation with broody hen and the nesting material sort of keeps the eggs stationary. In an incubator an early hatching rambunctious poult or chick can roll the unhatched eggs around pretty easily.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by