INCUBATING w/FRIENDS! w/Sally Sunshine Shipped Eggs No problem!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hi everyone how's the Fourth going?

I moved some birds around today and got the chicks into their new spot without having to build new coop.
yesss.gif
Finally drying out.

It sounds like a war zone out there. I'm not exaggerating. There's at least one explosion a second. I tried to count them. They're coming from all directions in rapid fire fashion.
There are 4 or 5 nearby cities that are all having fireworks displays at the same time. I can barely see the highest ones over the trees. But, all the neighbors are shooting fireworks and a few are shooting guns, all around us. The dog is freaked out. The chickens seem to be doing OK. A cat just ran through the backyard and I almost never see cats.

The main fireworks display at Fair St. Louis in Forest Park is going on now. And for the first time this weekend, you can see it. The rain and fog obscured most of it the 2nd and 3rd nights.

Vent sexing can be done the first couple days. I think only the first three. After that, I always go with how fast the wing feathers grow. Girls feather out faster. It is not for all breeds, but it works for me! You can also go by how fast they grow, and the thickness of their legs.
Vent sexing is a long learned skill that makes vent sexers at hatcheries very well paid.
Wing feather sexing should be done by day one or two. It is for fast feathering lines. The pullets will have 2 lengths of flight feathers and cockerels will have one. After the third day the cocks catch up and one can't tell the difference.
X2 on the legs. If one has all the same breed, cockerels will have thicker and longer legs after a week or two.

Watch a YouTube video. Basically, you make the penis pop out.
I think it's visible but doesn't really pop out, even as adults. Ducks are a different story.
lol.png

ummm hummmm I may wait till they get older then,
Just as well. Unless you were going to sell cockerels now or make them zoo animal feed you might as well wait.

So true, but I've heard that some hens crow. None of mine do. With most of mine, I wait until they crow before I'm absolutely sure and get rid of them. But my Spitzhauben never made a peep. I had 12 hatch, and 5 of them got dark red crops early, the rest still don't have any. I feel confident I didn't get rid of any girls.
It is extremely rare for pullets to crow. Mature hens can crow either when their one viable ovary quits or when their flock dominance encourages them to do so.

The blank post was supposed to say "Everyone is probably off watching the fireworks."
Was outside watching but now on TV. All the local stations are broadcasting from one of the major displays.

@kwhites634 Did you survive your outing? Anymore chicks or pips?

@ChickenCanoe . If I can find someone to dispose if them I will, I am not sure if I can kill a mama and babies who have not hurt anything, just eaten cat food. In the other hand, I would rather them than any of my flock.

I go my run extension built for the new coop, and got pictures of my HRIR cockerels (9 of 13 are males
hmm.png
) to post on the Heritage thread to ask for help selecting a couple of breeders.
Killing an animal in a trap is one of the hardest things I've done.
Dept. of Conservation told me to drop the trap in a trashcan filled with water.
They have only eaten catfood so far. Other things are on the menu though.

Congratulations on the build.

@kwhites634 Did you survive your outing? Anymore chicks or pips?

@ChickenCanoe . If I can find someone to dispose if them I will, I am not sure if I can kill a mama and babies who have not hurt anything, just eaten cat food. In the other hand, I would rather them than any of my flock.

I go my run extension built for the new coop, and got pictures of my HRIR cockerels (9 of 13 are males
hmm.png
) to post on the Heritage thread to ask for help selecting a couple of breeders.
Yeah, I survived. Nope, no more; don't really expect more at this point.

Currently just a single. Will get him a friend soon. No clue on age or breed. Bought him at auction so none of that was provided. His name is Spider-Man.
Thanks, that reminds me. I need to rename a pullet tonight. Well, not really rename. She's #51 and I have to remove her size 7 legband and replace it with a size 9.

Yeah, I survived. Nope, no more; don't really expect more at this point.

I had a chick hatch last night. 5 more due on Wednesday that look good and 5 more due on Friday that look iffy.

I got some really dark eggs in the last few days. I'm setting some more tonight or in the morning. I think the dark ones are only coming from 3 hens. Most of the darkest layers have been killed.

@ChickenCanoe

I'm glad its rating for you with all that fireworks going in. Don't think it's ever rained here for the fourth. Would be really nice if it did. Things are so dry here. Lots fireworks here as well although they are illegal in this area. Hoping for the best.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back
Top Bottom