INCUBATING w/FRIENDS! w/Sally Sunshine Shipped Eggs No problem!

Status
Not open for further replies.
I have some broody questions for you all:

1. Do I need to section off the coop that my broody is in so that when her chicks hatch the other hens can't get in there?

2. If I do section it off, do I need to close the coop itself so they can't "fall" down the ramp that leads to the ground?

3. I had to take 3 eggs yesterday that the broody kicked out of her nest again, they all had veining, so I stuck them in my incubator last night in hopes I can save them, they were cold when I found them last night. Can I give them back to her at "lockdown" or do I wait until they hatch in my incubator and then slip them under her at night?

I have at least 2 weeks to go until her eggs hatch, just trying to figure out what all I have to do to prepare for them! First Broody!

@Chaos18 & @DwayneNLiz thank you. I never had this happen before so was not sure what to do. I put a thermometer where I have the babe and its at 98° and humidity is bouncing between 55% - 65%. I am making sure that it stays moistened
like chaos said, just keep an eye on it, and be careful with its nostrils

I have some broody questions for you all:

1. Do I need to section off the coop that my broody is in so that when her chicks hatch the other hens can't get in there?

2. If I do section it off, do I need to close the coop itself so they can't "fall" down the ramp that leads to the ground?

3. I had to take 3 eggs yesterday that the broody kicked out of her nest again, they all had veining, so I stuck them in my incubator last night in hopes I can save them, they were cold when I found them last night. Can I give them back to her at "lockdown" or do I wait until they hatch in my incubator and then slip them under her at night?

I have at least 2 weeks to go until her eggs hatch, just trying to figure out what all I have to do to prepare for them! First Broody!
1. no, she should protect the chicks, you may want to block it so other cant lay eggs in the nest
2. no, she is supposed to teach them to climb up the ramp, and probably wont leave the coop for a few days
3. depending on how long they were left they should be fine, either should work

relax, breath she 'should' know what she's doing
fl.gif

Last edited:
1. no, she should protect the chicks, you may want to block it so other cant lay eggs in the nest
2. no, she is supposed to teach them to climb up the ramp, and probably wont leave the coop for a few days
3. depending on how long they were left they should be fine, either should work

relax, breath she 'should' know what she's doing
fl.gif

Thank you :)

The other hens are still going in there and laying. Then she takes their eggs, and kicks out however many of the ones I gave her (that are actually fertile) she needs to make room for the new ones they lay. ~rolling eyes~ I don't have a rooster, so she can't just keep taking their eggs. I don't know what happened in there last week, but they broke down the "wall" between the two nest boxes, so now she has one huge nest box and they are all still going in and laying in it. They have 3 other nest boxes that NO ONE is using at all. She is in their "favorite" box.

The "ramp" is a ladder type, it is not "solid"; should I make some changes to it to make it "Solid" and not a ladder type of ramp?

Last edited:
@daxigait
@mlm Mike

So I have a goat question. If I have an intact male. Will he still stink if I don't have any females?
if he's gottem theyll stink lol

http://animals.mom.me/billy-goats-smell-bad-3344.html

Thank you :)

The other hens are still going in there and laying. Then she takes their eggs, and kicks out however many of the ones I gave her (that are actually fertile) she needs to make room for the new ones they lay. ~rolling eyes~ I don't have a rooster, so she can't just keep taking their eggs. I don't know what happened in there last week, but they broke down the "wall" between the two nest boxes, so now she has one huge nest box and they are all still going in and laying in it. They have 3 other nest boxes that NO ONE is using at all. She is in their "favorite" box.

The "ramp" is a ladder type, it is not "solid"; should I make some changes to it to make it "Solid" and not a ladder type of ramp?
probably

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back
Top Bottom