INCUBATING w/FRIENDS! w/Sally Sunshine Shipped Eggs No problem!

Status
Not open for further replies.
I would love to hear peoples opinion on home schooling.

It is a very American thing, and where I come from if you don't send your kids to school you go to jail and your kids go into foster care.

I get that it is a personal choice here, and know plenty of people who have home schooled, and the reasons varied from "I wanted to because it would be fun for me", to "I can give them a better education than public school", to "I don't want my kids exposed to evil ideas that others may have I cannot control". These latter were usually extremely religious people. Also "it is easier to keep them at home than having to get my kids to school and back every day". I get that there are bad schools, but the people I know who home school have excellent local schools and it is nothing to do with that.

2 people I work with have super smart well educated spouses (one went to Stanford, and another to MIT) so you may think they are suitable parents to teach their kids everything. But are they? What is taught in school has changed so much with technology and science over the last 20 years. I know there are on-line resources to help home schoolers, but why not just go to school and "top up" at home?

How can 1 (or 2) parents replace 3 whole schools worth of modern teaching experience and know even a fraction of what they collectively know?
idunno.gif

Also at school you learn to interact in a normal way with other people, and learn about boundaries and deadlines, so when you go to university (or work) you have some life experience and don't go completely off the rails.
Home schooling, IMO, is a mixed blessing. On the one hand, a conscieinteous parent can give the student a better education than a public school as they are run today. Home schooling allows for one-on-one individual attention not possible in a public school environment. Most importantly, the home schooling parents aren't required to "teach to the test".

On the other hand, there is not the interaction with peers in a home schooling environment, at least not during school hours. Unfortunately, in all too many cases, the teachers are only a step or two ahead of the students academically (even back in the 60's, I had a POD teacher who reportedly obtained most of his lesson plans from the pages of Reader's Digest). Also, too many teachers can't spell as well as many of the older students, which doesn't bode well for the success of English Composition lessons.

Last edited:
Good Morning all.

I was driving to work this morning after dropping my daughter off at school and glanced in my rearview mirror to notice that my child had written on my very dirty back windshield "Chicken Lady".

lau.gif

Now my car is parked at work for all to see my Chicken Lady windshield.

Good Morning all.

I was driving to work this morning after dropping my daughter off at school and glanced in my rearview mirror to notice that my child had written on my very dirty back windshield "Chicken Lady".

lau.gif

Good morning, Chicken Lady!

Good Morning all.

lau.gif

Good morning, Chicken Lady!

Well, upon further investigation, it also says cat lady.

@Sally Sunshine as soon as my really nice breeding birds start to lay I would love to trade! Most are still chicks or pullets but some look very promising!
yesss.gif

@Sally Sunshine My favorite is an old bathtub waterer.
ahhhhh yes of course!! maybe if this bathroom gets a remodel this old clawfoot can become something for a critter!

Took the fluff squad out for a bit of a rummage today
smile.png

love.gif
big chickies!!!!

oh no!!!!!!!! dawwwww

@Sally Sunshine The balms and salves post is up! I know you were having questions yesterday so I tired to be really thorough in the post. http://wp.me/p6kYBA-GeS
gonna try, my inet is horrible I need a tech they said so I wait ughh did I mention I dont like hughsnet too much!!

Hi Banti!

Set 18 Seramas
12 OE
9 BCM
5 BCM Rooster over BR hen, those super sized eggs.

@BantyChooks
woot.gif
oh I hope you have fertility !!!! come on babies!!!!! I wanna see some BCMoverBR!!!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back
Top Bottom