INCUBATING w/FRIENDS! w/Sally Sunshine Shipped Eggs No problem!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Quote:

@Sally Sunshine

Hi Sally!! Sorry nobody updated the list for you! i meant to try, but was stuck on my phone, no computer, and that would have been ugly. I have no idea how you stay on top of things!!!

I did post this earlier, but I'm changing the numbers - I recounted....

I still have 19 out of 21 eggs I set for a friend, due to hatch 4/1. I have 13 Shipped Salmon Favorelle and 9 of my silkie eggs set to hatch on 4/5. I have 6 EE and 6 Backyard mixes from a friend, 10 shipped Blue/Buff Cochins and 5 of my silkies set to hatch 4/16. I've got Auto Sexing EE's, Green Egg layers and Silkie eggs on their way. Should be here between 4/2 - 4/7.

So, as long as they are in the incubator on or after 4/1, do they count for the Spring Along HAL? Or do they have to be SET in April?

After this, I HAVE TO STOP!!! NO MORE EGGS!

Yes, as long as the egg spent one day in the incubator or under a broody in April in can count in the April Spring Hatch A Long!

So you will be joing the May Hatch A Long, Right?
big_smile.png

Last edited:
DAX how is your ankle?
It is better from last week's mishap, but still very weak when confronted with any sideways or odd angle pressure. I think it is just going to take a while and some exercises to strengthen/tighten back up. Thanks! Do you keep day old chicks from breeders in quarantine for a month?
How was Easter with your family? Any more big beautiful eggs?

Last edited:
what is dead?   Phils eggs??  he is only on day 8 for ducks the embryo is tiny and will barely be seen yet unlike chickens.   
he will either have clears or blood rings at this stage,  he needs to figure out how to candle correctly and let them in a bit longer to be sure of clears for ducks. 
Sally i candled at day eight....so except a couple of quick random candle a few days back I'm leaving them alone...I really didn't want to candle today. .but I knew at some point I needed too. I wasn't sure if I should wait till day 10 being they are duck eggs.....I was going to sit down tonight and do some more reading....but I'm running around like crazy

Last edited:
I just candled my 5 Sebastopol geese eggs! It's day 14, 4 developing fine! 1 is dark all through but doesn't smell and has a good air sack. Hoping they continue to thrive!

Soooo bummed. I set my egg not realizing I had to be out of town for the hatch. Thursday I put them on Lock down. Friday night I added extra water and left town. When I got home super late I saw two had zipped but not opened and 1 pipped.  My humidity had dropped although I'm now question my hygrometer. I added water and the two zipped ones started chirping. 

Completely worried and I then noticed that the clocks in the house were flashing meaning the power had went out at some time over the weekend too...No chirping this morning...I'm not too hopeful at this point.
@Sally Sunshine

I never touch them. I let nature take its course. IMO, that's the point of broodies. No electricity or concerns.
Perhaps I would think differently if I had eggs that were easy to see into. I would have to bring the eggs into the house and go into a darkened room to see anything. The broody hen doesn't need that intrusion. The more you disturb them, the less likely they are to do a good job.

Thanks. I'll leave her alone

ADORABLE!!!

I was told to candle, I did just to check for clears. Simply because if an egg explodes, it is very difficult to wash a hen.   I candled for the first (and ONLY) time around day 14.  I verified there was something growing in each of the eggs. Earlier there had been 2 eggs the hens had kicked out (I had 2 broodies).  Both were clear.  So, I think mine knew which eggs to keep.  I had 7 out of 7 hatch.  

So, personally, I probably won't candle the next time.  But there are others that candle the same as they do in the incubator.  So, I'd say, candle if you want to, don't candle if you trust your hens!

Good luck!!!  I honestly think the babies peeking out under the broody hen were WAY CUTER than the ones in my incubator!!! 

I'll only check if she leaves the nest. I had a broody last year and it was a mess. Several eggs cracked and made a mess. Two hatched. We grafted a few more chicks on the hen... And then a raccoon got all the chicks and watching poor mama search for the young was the saddest sight ever

Yes, as long as the egg spent one day in the incubator or under a broody in April in can count in the April Spring Hatch A Long!

So you will be joing the May Hatch A Long, Right?
big_smile.png
Joining the May Hatch A Long.....hmmmmmm I'm hoping to JUST hatch my own silkie eggs! Let's see if I can stay away from the Auction pages.....
lau.gif

Mini fridge Bator update! Almost there just waiting on two sets of small turners and 1 more 40mm fan have everything else wired and the control panel complete unfortunately the fan speed controllers don't do anything so... I have 3 knobs to turn for fun!

Here's the control panel turned off

Control panel on

From left to right: power button, stc1000 style thermostat, upper toggle switches light, lower fan, upper fan, rear fans, under each fan toggle are the useless speed controls, and under the light toggle is the plain on off toggle for the turners.

On with light on

On with the light off

Hope you like still need to make hatching basket! Ask any questions thanks! Almost there hopefully I can set this weekend!

What would you approx this cost you in material?? Just a guess is fine.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back
Top Bottom