INCUBATING w/FRIENDS! w/Sally Sunshine Shipped Eggs No problem!

Status
Not open for further replies.
So I believe I have a shrink wrapped egg. I would like to be as much hands off as possible. It was under a hen that started pecking at the egg so I brought it inside. If i keep the membrane moistened should it hatch on its own?

Is it currently in an incubator? Why do you think it was shrink wrapped? Ducks take way longer to hatch than chicks do. It it's in an incubator with proper temp and humidity I would leave it in there and keep an eye on it.

I see blood at the edges of the membrane.... It looks like it isn't ready. I'd leave it, but ask others as I've never hatched ducks. What that you see makes you believe it is shrinkwrapped?
@Sally Sunshine

@Chaos18

@MotorcycleChick

Isnt shrink wrapped when the membrane is stuck to the babe? I could be wrong :) i am taking warm water and keeping the edges moist. I also have a damp paper towel wrapped around the rest ofthe egg.

Is it currently in an incubator? Why do you think it was shrink wrapped? Ducks take way longer to hatch than chicks do. It it's in an incubator with proper temp and humidity I would leave it in there and keep an eye on it.

It was under a hen but she started pecking at the egg & I didnt want her to kill it so I have it under a heat lamp.

Isnt shrink wrapped when the membrane is stuck to the babe? I could be wrong
smile.png
i am taking warm water and keeping the edges moist. I also have a damp paper towel wrapped around the rest ofthe egg.
Mebbe so, I can't really see.... It is breathing, so no huge rush to get it out... Sounds like you're doing the right thing. Good luck!!
fl.gif

Quote:
Woke up to hear this little one peeping and zipping 4 days early!
Incubator been running hot?

you as well, sounds like a great time for you! I prefer quiet evenings at home with drink, I am not a fan of peoples in groups
Don't drink alone.
big_smile.png

One night Harmony and I were locking up the flock, and Harmony starts crying and freaking because there was only two babies with their momma, so instead of checking I start looking all over the woods filled with poison ivy and spiders looking for these dang chicks, following the fence line all through in case they got stuck in it. No luck and after many tears from kiddo I checked the coop again, DOH the hen stood up on the roost, and her tears because laughter and I couldnt help but laugh at well, and smack myself in the back of the head too DOH!!!!!
I walked into a building one morning with a bunch of pullets that had been sleeping on the floor every night.
There were no birds in there. I finally found them all in the rafters.

Dont think this sold well
I need to bag some up.

Goodmorning peoples..... Hurt my arm AGAIN yesterday, (hoping it aint broken, 'cause I REFUSE to wear a cast in this weather) so I'm a slower typer today.
If it needs a cast - it needs a cast.

gig.gif
I read an article a week or so ago about how horrible it is to garden with chicken manure!
lau.gif

I didn't know it was possible.
Depends on how it's used. It is a very high in phosphorus but still a good manure. If soil is already high in phosphorus, it can prevent uptake of other nutrients.
Most fear the nitrogen level.

Take to many hits to the head and you'll start acting like me.

bun.gif
Dropped on the head as a baby were we?

hide.gif

Rabbit I agree with, but I thought horse needed to be composted?

Duck is supposedly able to be used fresh.
With things like horse manure, composting is necessary to heat destroy seeds. Otherwise, weeds, oats and things will start growing from it.

Horse slaughter is illegal in the US........... I don't think outlawing it did the horses any favors.
I still wouldn't eat one!
sickbyc.gif
Meat is meat. It's no longer a horse, steer, goat, etc..

Slaughter houses in Missouri, Iowa and New Mexico have now been approved for horse slaughter.
http://www.newstarget.com/2016-02-2...oducing-horse-meat-for-human-consumption.html

Even before this, horses could be shipped to Mexico or even Europe, slaughtered and meat sold back to the US to be used as meat filler for human consumption.

I don't see why it's illegal.
Sensibilities.

Was that too controversial? If so, I'll delete it.
hide.gif
Not too.

Yeah, he is. It wasn't the O's, it was the Ravens, during a pre-season game.
I was mistaken. I wasn't thinking football.
Here it is.
http://mashable.com/2016/08/12/ravens-stop-game-to-watch-phelps/#ZJMoxq9DiZqf

I'd eat one. Animal rights people are usually a few fries short of a full crayon box.
I recall a humaniac releasing a fur farm full of mink. Most ended up dying of starvation since they didn't know how to find food.

Last edited:

Dropped on the head as a baby were we?

Sensibilities.

I recall a humaniac releasing a fur farm full of mink. Most ended up dying of starvation since they didn't know how to find food.
Not that I know of. It was more of the smacks later in life.
Lack thereof. Like you said, meat is meat.
That's usually what happens when they try to "help" the poor animals.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back
Top Bottom