Incubating

Chuckkeeper

Songster
Jul 13, 2020
Yorkshire, England
Hi
One of my incubators has trays where eggs lay on their side rather than thin end down
I want to candle the eggs, but if I do, do I need to put the egg back in the position it was in on its side? Ie with air sac still pointing up?
This isn't normally an issue as thin end down is thin end down in my other incubators

Hi
One of my incubators has trays where eggs lay on their side rather than thin end down
I want to candle the eggs, but if I do, do I need to put the egg back in the position it was in on its side? Ie with air sac still pointing up?
This isn't normally an issue as thin end down is thin end down in my other incubators
I don't think you need to put it exactly on the same spot at all, as the egg needs to continually rotate anyhow. You should be fine in my opinion.
I'm curious as to what incubator you are using?
The trays I have allow me to have them pointed down, on the side, or even half way between the two (on their side but the blunt end is slightly at an upper angle). I'm not too familiar with keeping the eggs entirely on their sides. Maybe others can chime in on their preferences.

I don't think you need to put it exactly on the same spot at all, as the egg needs to continually rotate anyhow. You should be fine in my opinion.
I'm curious as to what incubator you are using?
The trays I have allow me to have them pointed down, on the side, or even half way the two (on the side on the blunt end is slightly at an upper angle). I'm not too familiar with keeping the eggs entirely on their sides. Maybe others can chime in on their preferences.
Hi
The pointy end does naturally seem to be pointing down, but the eggs are on their sides.
It's like this one. I presume and hope I am using it correctly: https://smile.amazon.co.uk/dp/B07KT6BMCS/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_apa_i_69fOFbXST96TT?_encoding=UTF8&psc=1

I prefer incubating my eggs on their sides unless they have screwed up air cells, and even then, I usually only put them upright for a few days and then put them back down on their sides. I never worry about the way I put eggs back in if I’m using an auto turner. If I’m hand turning my eggs though, depending on when it is during the day, if it’s when I would normally turn them anyways, I’ll turn them then to the opposite side. :)
The only time I would do differently is if I’m candling before locking them down. Then it’s best to ensure the “dip” in the air cell is on the top, because this is where the chick normally will pip.

I prefer incubating my eggs on their sides unless they have screwed up air cells, and even then, I usually only put them upright for a few days and then put them back down on their sides. I never worry about the way I put eggs back in if I’m using an auto turner. If I’m hand turning my eggs though, depending on when it is during the day, if it’s when I would normally turn them anyways, I’ll turn them then to the opposite side. :)
The only time I would do differently is if I’m candling before locking them down. Then it’s best to ensure the “dip” in the air cell is on the top, because this is where the chick normally will pip.
Thank you. Makes sense. I've got 15 on their sides, and the pointy end seems to be naturally pointing down. The auto turner moves the tray which in turn makes the eggs move as they are sat on the floor with the tray around them. Does that make sense? So far I think 12/15 are good

Thank you. Makes sense. I've got 15 on their sides, and the pointy end seems to be naturally pointing down. The auto turner moves the tray which in turn makes the eggs move as they are sat on the floor with the tray around them. Does that make sense? So far I think 12/15 are good
That should be perfectly fine. The only time I would be at all worried would be if you get an egg stuck and turned so the fat end is pointed down, but I’ve only ever had that happen with quail eggs in my auto turner (which appears similar to the one you linked to.)

That should be perfectly fine. The only time I would be at all worried would be if you get an egg stuck and turned so the fat end is pointed down, but I’ve only ever had that happen with quail eggs in my auto turner (which appears similar to the one you linked to.)
So putting them back differently to how they were, when candling, is fine (until lockdown)? As is incubating them on their sides as long as the fat end doesn't end up point down. Phew! Do you have any pics of air sacs at 7 days? These eggs look quite different to my earlier attempt (I think). Humidity is 32% and temp 37.5C

So putting them back differently to how they were, when candling, is fine (until lockdown)? As is incubating them on their sides as long as the fat end doesn't end up point down. Phew! Do you have any pics of air sacs at 7 days? These eggs look quite different to my earlier attempt (I think). Humidity is 32% and temp 37.5C
As long as you’re using your auto turner, totally fine to put them back in however so long as they’re on their sides and not canted with the air cell down.
I have a day 5 pic of a silkie egg I can share. Not a super great shot but you can see the air cell at the top as a brighter, empty looking area. The light really shines through there since there’s nothing but air in it.
6812347A-29E2-4079-AE82-E8B3DDCADADA.jpeg

Back
Top Bottom