Incubation and pipping

Szack

Chirping
Jun 11, 2020
Hi I have been incubating 3 Aylesbury duck eggs. All been candled and are doing great day 24. I’ve reduced the temp and stopped turning, cooling etc ready for hatching. I’ve had nothing until day 28 when 1 has started pipping. Day 29 and the pipping area has increased. How long should it take for this egg to actually hatch? Can the duckling still die at this stage?
BB630F0A-E27A-4007-BD53-2B22B27C78CC.jpeg

Hi, ducklings can take up to 48 hours after initial external pip for them to hatch. At this stage they are absorbing the yolk and their blood vessels are drying up. You may still hear peeping and see a little rocking but don't worry if you don't. If there's no more piping after 48 hours (if it was me) I would candle the egg to see what is happening. Make sure your humidity is at the right reading about 75%. The external pip in your pic shows that the duckling is now breathing air so all looks good.
Best of luck and keep us posted with what is happening!

That's wonderful - congrats again! I have an Aylesbury and 2 Cayugas too.......plus 2 x Appleyards, 1 x Buff Orpington, 1 x Peach Campbell and 6 x new Welsh Magpie ducklings now 11 weeks old.

That's wonderful - congrats again! I have an Aylesbury and 2 Cayugas too.......plus 2 x Appleyards, 1 x Buff Orpington, 1 x Peach Campbell and 6 x new Welsh Magpie ducklings now 11 weeks old.
Haha got you hands full 😅 I also have these lovely ladies!
3737C627-EFE8-4A5B-8BE2-48ABDA3A975C.jpeg

Back
Top Bottom