incubation day 5

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by farmerjon1988, Jan 14, 2011.

1. farmerjon1988

farmerjon1988 Out Of The Brooder

Dec 30, 2010
    birmingham uk
    Hi all,
    We ordered some eggs which came 5 days after they were posted out so never had high hopes for them lol.
    Anyway, its day 5 of incubation today and decided to candle them, I cant really see much and to be honest i dont really know what im looking for. they all have black masses in them, some bigger than others. ive took a couple of pictures.................

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

All the eggs pretty much look the same but some have smaller masses.
    Any thoughts? As I dont really know what im looking at

many thanks [​IMG]

2. Cloverleaf Farm

Cloverleaf Farm Bearded Birds are Best

Sep 16, 2008
    Levan, UT
    I can never tell someone definitively by looking at pics. BUT if they are developing, by day 5 you should be able to see definite veins along the sides. If you can make out a yolk, but don't see any veins, they are duds. [​IMG]

eta: I don't toss anything until at least day 10 though, and not at all if I can't tell for sure. [​IMG]

Last edited: Jan 14, 2011
  3. teresa-78

teresa-78 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 24, 2010
    England
    Quote:x2

4. jenfork

jenfork Out Of The Brooder

Sep 1, 2010
    Northern NJ
    Mine looked like that. They were olive eggs, so very hard to tell. 6 out of 7 hatched for me.

5. BooBear

BooBear Chicken Cuddler

Oct 7, 2010
    Conroe, Texas
    Dark eggs do make candling difficult. I do not see much from the pics. You may want to wait til day 10.
    I would only worry if one had a bad smell with a bit of ooz on it which means it will explode. Other then that see what happens in a few more days.

What kind of light are you using? Try getting a very bright type of flash light. The more intense bright lights show more especially in hard to see through dark eggs.

6. farmerjon1988

farmerjon1988 Out Of The Brooder

Dec 30, 2010
    birmingham uk
    Quote:I cut a hole out of an old shoe box to sit the egg in and the put a 60 watt bulb in a desk lamp so i could candle from underneath [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by