Incubation information for a drafty house!

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by lzufelt, Jan 24, 2015.

1. lzufelt

lzufelt Out Of The Brooder

Jan 24, 2015
    Ontario, Canada
    Hi everyone,

I am hoping that someone out there in the world of BackYard Chickens is able to help me.

Today I brought home, my first, 2 dozen beautiful fertilized eggs. After the car ride I let them sit 4+ hours as recommended.

This morning before heading out, I turned back no the incubator that I borrowed (I know, rookie mistake- For all you new chicken people, leave your incubator on and running for a few days before setting the chickens inside).

My second problem, now that the eggs are in the incubator, I can't get the temperature up. It will not raise any higher than 95.4 degrees fahrenheit.

What I believe it to be is that our old farm house is just too drafty. I have covered up every single doorway and removed the incubator from the wall. I even turned on a space heater, which I later turned off because I am afraid to cook the eggs on the side that it directly hits. I turned off the furnace fan to stop the constant air movement because it circulates cold air when its not being brought up to temperature.

Feeling like a giant failure!

Can someone PLEASE give me some advice if you have a drafty house and have had a successful hatch!!!

2. hennible

hennible Overrun With Chickens

Try putting the incubator in a box... and double check your temperature with the different thermometer just in case... Some people put bottles of water in their incubators to keep a more consistent temperature, sealed bottles.... Hope you get more help soon.

3. Dcat

Dcat Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 19, 2014
    AA County Maryland
    First question I have is how long have you had it on WITH the eggs in there? Not only does it have to get up to temp, it also has to get the eggs up to temp. I have a homemade incubator that I keep in my laundry room, it stays cold in there all the time.

4. lzufelt

Jan 24, 2015
    Ontario, Canada
    I have three thermometers in my incubator along with a humidity reader!!

I currently have my incubator up on two chairs. I was thinking about draping a blanket over top so it is not touching the incubator but also allows air flow?

I have had them in since approximately 9:30 this evening?

I appreciate your responses!!

And hennible, can you explain more about the unopened bottles of water?? Where do I put them? My eggs are currently set together at the far side (first three rows) of my automatic turner.

Last edited: Jan 24, 2015
  5. Soylent Chick

Soylent Chick Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 6, 2015
    Water provides thermal mass or heat capacity in the incubator. It absorbs heat and releases it when the temperature raises or lowers so it reduces temperature swings. You can put the water bottles anywhere in there but just know that it'll take some time for the water get up to the incubator temp if you don't warm it up first.

6. lzufelt

Jan 24, 2015
    Ontario, Canada
    Thank you! I am going to warm up some bottles right now! I have the blanket over it as well. Hoping it helps to hold some of the warmth in. If you have any other recommendations please let me know!

UPDATE: So I put two plastic water bottles full, about one inch from the top, with water in the incubator. Immediately the temperature started to go up. up Up UP! So when it got to 100.5 I took one bottle out and it kept rising. So I took both water bottles out. And then it went down Down DOWN back to 95. I then took one of the bottles and filled it only half way with hot tap water and stuck it back in. It has been holding steady at 97.5 for almost 15 minutes! :) I know it is supposed to be 99.5 but I was also told that it can go either way by 2 degrees without impact?

Finally I might be okay to go to sleep!

Last edited: Jan 25, 2015

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by