Incubation, lockdown, and fear

Mama_Owl_3

Songster
Jun 26, 2019
Lawrenceville, Ga
My husband and I have duck eggs in an incubator and tomorrow we are supposed to go into lockdown mode. I'm very afraid that some or all of my eggs are no longer alive.:hit I'm pretty sure two of them are no longer alive, I see no veins of any kind, but there is no smell or leakage that I can see. Two of them are almost completely dark except for the air cell. The 5th one, looks to have veins and not as far along. They were all started at the same time and seemed to develop at the same pace. Any help is greatly appreciated.

Attachments

• IMG_20200429_201952427.jpg
    IMG_20200429_201952427.jpg
    194.6 KB · Views: 14
  • IMG_20200429_202043019.jpg
    IMG_20200429_202043019.jpg
    144.2 KB · Views: 8
  • IMG_20200429_202121514.jpg
    IMG_20200429_202121514.jpg
    178.5 KB · Views: 8
  • IMG_20200429_202159051.jpg
    IMG_20200429_202159051.jpg
    185 KB · Views: 8
  • IMG_20200429_202224313.jpg
    IMG_20200429_202224313.jpg
    159.2 KB · Views: 8
What do you mean by going into lockdown mode? I thought Georgia was opening up? I'm sorry about your eggs, I hope they are okay!

What do you mean by going into lockdown mode? I thought Georgia was opening up? I'm sorry about your eggs, I hope they are okay!

Taking the extra piece out so the eggs are no longer turned, turning up temp in preparation of hatching, and making sure humidity is steady during the process.

I assume you are keeping the regimen, and will keep them all through lockdown?!?
Since there's no smell, etc, why not!

I'm curious as to the outcome. Maybe the two darker ones are ok? Keep us posted. I'm sure we can all learn from your experience...

Sadly none of the eggs made it. :hit:hitWe waited through the entire lock down process and a little past or hatch date. There was no smell at all, but some dark spots. My husband took care of the eggs and he said that when he checked them, that they must have died just before we put them in lock down. We have decided to try again and will start some new eggs this evening. :fl

I'm sorry they didn't make it.
I'm down to 3 from the 17 I started with. Not feeling too optimistic about their chances at this point!
One of the three remaining is one that I had been sure was dead, but decided to give it one last day and this morning was the most vigorous one left. Now I'm second guessing at least one other one that I pulled out the day before that may not have actually died until I took it out and left it in the cold.
Good call leave those eggs you weren't sure about. I feel so horrible thinking I may have tossed a perfectly healthy duckling.

I'm sorry they didn't make it.
I'm down to 3 from the 17 I started with. Not feeling too optimistic about their chances at this point!
One of the three remaining is one that I had been sure was dead, but decided to give it one last day and this morning was the most vigorous one left. Now I'm second guessing at least one other one that I pulled out the day before that may not have actually died until I took it out and left it in the cold.
Good call leave those eggs you weren't sure about. I feel so horrible thinking I may have tossed a perfectly healthy duckling.

I'm sorry to hear about your eggs, don't feel to badly about second guessing yourself. I am no expert when it comes to this, this is my first time incubating eggs, but I am learning. I wasn't feeling all that great about their chance of still being viable but I wanted to make certain since we were so close to the lockdown phase. That is why I also posted on this forum, I have gotten great information and advice from so many people on here. It has made me a much better Duck mama to my small group of ducks and it has helped me through this entire process of incubating.

Back
Top Bottom