Incubation perametters?

Duckchick2011

Songster
8 Years
Apr 17, 2011
Louisiana
Hey guys,

A friend of mine just offered me three or four free cockatiels! The catch: they are still in their shells >.< I have been kinda wanting a Cockatiel for years...and I mean YEARS! But I never did managed to move past budgies and love birds, now the opportunity is practically being handed to me(my heart is literally pounding from the excitement XD )...I mean I have the means and I have the time on my hands(too much time >.<) So, I figured why not right? (besides the obvious good sense reasons my brain is screaming at me already
roll.png
)

So, I was just wondering, what are the exact incubation requirements for a cockatiel egg, you know, humidity, temp., amount of turnings per day...any necessary cool off periods, etc., etc.

I would vastly appreciate any and all replies
wink.png
...though please, if your gonna fuss at me for how silly I'm being for undertaking such a momentous task please be gentle >.< I am open to criticism though...and any personal experience, either positive or negative
wink.png

You mean no one has one single clue? Not even a little bit of a clue...not even half a clue? I mean the eggs already in the incubator, I've got it at about 99 degrees since that seems a pretty safe temp. ...but I really need to know the right humidity...at least that you know? I mean its not like I don't realize what I'm getting into, I mean I really do, I have a very experienced person to teach me all the basics, I've already done a tone of reading and watching, I have been present for food prep and feedings,...I don't ever intend to breed cockatiels, I just really want this one egg baby, you know? and I would at least like to get this project off the ground...

I'm kinda desperate here
hmm.png
I mean, I suppose I could just let it go...but I don't feel right throwing a potential baby cockatiel out the window, I mean would anybody? The eggs were gonna get thrown out anyway(my friend doesn't really have the time for a clutch of cockatiels at the moment)...so could someone please please please help me out here? I'm not asking for a lot, just the info necessary to at least give this little project a shot at success...

Last edited:
Not sure how long you would need to incubate but the temperature would be the same as for chickens.

Found the following edited to reflect that info.

This site has a lot of information on handraising cockatiels Cockatiel Cottage

More cockatiel info... Avian Web Cockatiel laying and incubation

Actually incubating yourself instead of the bird doing the work . . . Incubation of birds

Humidity-wise, the average of all the info I came across was 45-50% for incubation and 55-60% for hatching.

Good luck and let us know how it goes.

Last edited:
Thank you so much
big_smile.png
I will definitely be updating this thread periodically with any and all development. I'm just so excited right now, and so thankful to finally have some good solid info instead of just guess work
wink.png

Thanks again, Duckchick2011

Oh...and I read up that cockatiel chicks are about 18 days till hatching, So I guess I won't have very long to wait
lol.png

Last edited:
Hi

It can be done and when hand reared they make lovely pets,did it some years ago with some hatchlings
smile.png

Set your incubator at 37.4C, humidity about 50% and turn the eggs at least 3 times a day. Once they hatch they soon become active and keen to feed.

Best of luck
big_smile.png

Pete
wink.png

Hey guys, thanks so much for all the help
wink.png
but sadly it was all for not, the little egg wasn't even fertilized, so I had to settle for putting two of my duck's first eggs in the incubator. Its probably all for the best, besides, little duckies are a lot more fun and a lot less risky XD I am expecting a some wittle bitty mallard/buff runner cross babies on the 8 th so I'm happy XXD

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom