Incubation progress of Muscovy eggs

I see internal pips in at least 3 of my eggs that are guestimated to hatch tomorrow.
I know I've read it before, but approximately how long from internal pip to hatch? I was thinking I'd read that it was 48 hours, but I'm hoping less than that because I'm impatient. LOL

I see internal pips in at least 3 of my eggs that are guestimated to hatch tomorrow.
I know I've read it before, but approximately how long from internal pip to hatch? I was thinking I'd read that it was 48 hours, but I'm hoping less than that because I'm impatient. LOL
Internal pip to hatch here is 24-72 hours.

-Kathy

My dates were all off apparently, since the nest I took these eggs from under must have not been set on for a few days after I thought it was! So that meant that I was also wrong about the internal pips, since apparently I was just seeing shadowing....

Now that I've learned a thing or two, I now have 8 with internal pips and one that's making its external pip (see pic!).

A HUGE THANK YOU to this thread!
My eggs were shrink wrapped, sticky or BOTH. It meant every single egg that was still alive needed assistance. Two were malpositioned and needed a lot of assistance. 2 just had assistance with the external pip and then were able to zip and hatch. The rest needed total help.
One of the ducks that was malpositioned doesn't look good, and I'm not sure if it'll make it. But I have 14 healthy ducklings!!!
After hearing so much about the downfalls of assisted hatching I was very happy to have this result. I credit hours spent reading through this thread and others giving my step by step instructions. :)

I've tossed an entire clutch of rotten muscovy eggs, I had two muscovy sitting on them inside of a Dogloo.. They sat on them for atleast 35 days. Temps likely got too high in there. I opened every single egg. They clearly overheated within the first few days of incubation. It's amazing how every single egg seemed to smell juuuust a little different.
sickbyc.gif

I now have another muscovy sitting on a large clutch. I don't have an exact time frame of when she started sitting. In my mind it's been atleast a month.. but from the few duds I removed it seems she's not that far along.

I check every other day, to make sure everything is going ok. I just smell the eggs and pick out the stinky ones (so far I've removed 3 eggs out of 21 eggs).

First one didn't develop.

This was the second one.

Today I removed the third. I didn't take a picture.. the smell was the worst yet! Green/black liquid
sickbyc.gif
and a decomposing duckling. Yolk looked really raunchy. Anyway, duckling had developed fluff.

I can't find much info about developmental stages of muscovy. I'm trying to figure out some sort of timeline.. Image posted was taken on May 4th. Fuzzy duckling eggtopsy was today, considering it was in decomp, it must've been dead several days. Any guesses on a timeline for me? I tried candling one, it's pretty much dark with an air pocket..
lol.png

EDIT: Decomp duckling was the same size as the yolksac, if that helps.

Last edited:
That one looks like not enough moisture. Best suggestion is to spray those eggs once or twice a day. While you have hot weather going on. I'm surprise the girls aren't wetting them. Do they have a pond or a pool? Or are they first timers??

That one looks like not enough moisture. Best suggestion is to spray those eggs once or twice a day. While you have hot weather going on. I'm surprise the girls aren't wetting them. Do they have a pond or a pool? Or are they first timers??

First timers. Two sat on rotten eggs for several weeks, without even trying to move them out of the nest.

I've got a better feeling on this last one though.. she's dreadfully protective. She seems to bathe at least once a day and her hutch is in a shaded area. The nest feels a little damp (not wet or anything). But still, she also made no effort to remove a decomposing egg.. so the mothering thing is still a little shaky. The remaining eggs smell fine, so
fl.gif

It really should be any day now! Or well, within a week.

Back
Top Bottom