Incubation Question

haireecat

Songster
7 Years
Jul 25, 2013
Georgia
Hi all! I have a Shetland due to go on lockdown tomorrow. I also have 3 other assorted duck eggs in the same incubator, but they are not due to hatch until July 4th. Will the younger eggs be affected by the high humidity for those days on lockdown? I still plan on turning multiple times (they're at day 5 today), and I know keeping that humidity up will be a priority when turning. They younger eggs were bought after the Shetland ended up being the lone fertile one in a shipment of Crested eggs (it needs friends!), and so far they look good. Thanks for the help, I've learned so much from lurking on here! These are our first ducks, but we have multiple chickens.

Last edited:
I had to do this before too. All I did was go slightly lower humidity during lockdown so I didn't affect the early eggs too much, but it was high enough for the eggs in lockdown, you kind of need to split the difference almost. After the eggs hatched I lowered the humidity back down.

Best of luck!

I just did the same. I am still waiting on the second set of eggs but they got locked down and after hatch I turned them back on the auto and reduced humidity. I have about a week to see how it turns out.

That would be way too high for me, but humidity does vary on location and other factors. Do the air cells look good?

In the last few weeks I decreased humidity to 50%, and the air cell looks normal now. I was concerned the Shetland egg air cell was too small.

Back
Top Bottom