Incubation questions about duck eggs - day 29! please help!

tink0602

Chirping
8 Years
May 7, 2011
I tried asking this on the duck thread, but haven't gotten much of an answer...has anyone hear had any experience with hatching Muscovies??

I am on day 29 with my Muscovies in the bator. Some of them have been moving a bit for the past few days. I noticed that the air cell has gotten significantly larger and sloped, so I stopped turning them and put the wide end of the air cell up. I can see shadowing at the base of the air cell, and from what I have read I think that means they are close to internally pipping. But it is early!! I was also freaking out a bit, because the air cell seems big. How big is too big?? I put two extra warm wet washcloths in there last night, and the window is partially fogged up. I know I have increased the humidity, which is good, but can it be too high at this point? Could I see the shadowing because they are being squished in there by a too big air cell??
Is it too late to help them, if the air cell is too large? I took one of the washcloths out this morning. Am I too early for lockdown? Should I candle again tonight and see if they have internally pipped or just wait and leave it closed??

Please, please....I would love some advice from someone experienced...this is my first time and I already know how hard Muscovies can be to incubate. I don't want to mess this up at the end.

Thank you!!!

Ok well here ya go!

Muscovy eggs sit for 35 days

days 1-26 temp 99.5 humidity 86%
days 27-35 temp 98.5 humidity 94%

As babies pip increase your ventilation by 50% as hatch nears end (when all are hatched & drying) lower temp & humidity to 97 degrees 70% humidity

So you are still in the ok range, and you should go into lockdown last three days. Unlike chickens though I don't think the whole air pocket up applies. ? I could be wrong on that, but I don't do that with my ducks. I wouldn't candle again, just be patient you still have about 6 more days to go, but lockdown is to early so go back to turning them for 3 more days. It sounds as if everything is ok
smile.png
Just step back from the incy, take a deep breath, and relax! Sounds like you will be oooooK

Hope this helps!
smile.png

Last edited:
first off, muscovy eggs are one of the easiest to hatch..

I go with about 45% humidity for 32 days and raise it to 60% or above for the last 3 days.. this works really well for me..

no matter what you do from now on, you are not going to change the air cell a lot, if any.. don't worry about it..

I lay the eggs on their side and let the duck decide where to pip

do like RFFLock says,, take a deep breath and do not candle any more and step away from that bator..

Thank you both so much for your advice...I had no idea that this last week would be so stressful! I didn't expect to see the air cells so big, and then I started freaking out about all of the possibilities. The humidity still seems to pretty good in there with only one wet washcloth, so I am leaving it. I am in S. Florida, so it is naturally just humid here all the time (which I am hoping is to my advantage).

I heard that once they start wiggling around and the air cell slopes down that it doesn't matter whether you continue to turn, because they will roll themselves the way they need to go (???) we noticed a couple out of place yesterday and the day before. They are all on their side, but I just turned them so that the side with the widest part of the air cell faces up. I hope that makes sense.

I will listen to you both about the big deep breath!
lol.png

it doesn't matter how the air cell is.. In a natural nest, how would a duck check it? once they are wigglilng so much, they do not need to be turned any more.. they are taking over that job from you..

a big air cell is good.. that is where the duckling is getting his air from until he pips the shell.. then he is breathing air from our atmosphere..

Duck hatching you are going to get ALLLLL kinds of varying information. The thing is, you need to find what is right for your climate, in your house. Your hygrometer is key. Personally, I don't go much below 55% humidity. When I get too high, I find they drown.

You are too early for lockdown, and your air cells, unless they are more than half the egg, are fine.

Quote:
Why would you say that? We all have different experiences. In my experience, An air cell larger that half the egg is not a fully formed duckie. Quitter.

I was basically agreeing with you!!

Last edited:
I took a quick peek last night with an LED just to make sure they were all still moving in there, and they were. No internal pips, yet...so I figured we were on schedule for Wednesday lockdown. Today is only day 30. I open the incubator tonight as if I was turning them (which I'm not anymore) and after checking a couple of the eggs (still no internal pips for those, yet) I noticed that one of them had an EXTERNAL PIP!!!!!! Did I just shrinkwrap my baby????
ep.gif
I quickly closed the incubator and now I am a nervous wreck....absolutely no more opening it, but what the heck should I do??? Why is this one so ahead of schedule?? and what should I do?? look for??? HELP PLEASE?????

Back
Top Bottom