Incubation questions

Andy19

In the Brooder
5 Years
Sep 14, 2014
I'm starting to get real nervous about my first hatch ever. I'm currently on day eight and have had a couple of issues. First off I'm using the LG still air and for the most part my temps have been in 100-101 range. But yesterday morning they spiked at 102. Which I corected and got it back onto range. The other issue is I think my daughter forgot to turn the eggs after school yesterday. Is it ok that we missed one turn? I tried to candle a couple off the eggs last night and couldn't see a thing. Any thought or advice would be great.

Thanks in advance.
Andy

I would try not to worry too much incubating is both nerve wracking and exciting all rolled into one. As long as you got the temp down quickly it shouldn't be too much of a problem. As to missing a turn they will be fine. To candle well you need a good seal around the egg so that light can't escape and can only go into egg. Also depends what type of egg your trying to candle. Some are better than others but you should be able to see your air cell growth as incubation progresses. Wishing you the very best of luck with your eggs :fl

First off, CALM DOWN!!! It's okay.
hugs.gif
I came home from school one day and saw my incubator at 107 degrees
th.gif
, that's a lot higher then yours, you are fine. I now have 6 pretty chicks going on 3 weeks.
jumpy.gif
. So one degree off is nothing to worry about. Good luck
thumbsup.gif

Thank you both for the replies. I tried candling again tonight with the assit of a piece of cardboard that I cut a hole in. I did 7 out of the 24 eggs I have in there, and was able to see the air pockets on 6 of them and the other one looked to be clear all the way through. I'm assuming on the one that I could see all the way through that its infertal?

Thanks again,
Andy

Thank you both for the replies. I tried candling again tonight with the assit of a piece of cardboard that I cut a hole in. I did 7 out of the 24 eggs I have in there, and was able to see the air pockets on 6 of them and the other one looked to be clear all the way through. I'm assuming on the one that I could see all the way through that its infertal?

Thanks again,
Andy

yes and I am curious if any are even fertile cuz its kinda late in the season

I have problems candling quail eggs due to the spots. I have a hard time seeing the veins. I just let them go and enjoy what hatches. I found that ones I thought were clears hatched, I was glad I didn't give up on them at day 7.

Back
Top Bottom