Incubation Stress

I did the same thing.

Except with a homemade bator, waaaay too big for the amount of eggs I had, but we couldn't cut the plexiglass shorter...

The temperature was nutso. I had to check up on it all the time, and sadly, ended up having to take off the lid to cool down the thing fast because it bumped up to 105 (I had more of a heat problem than cold). But I kept the two-three washcloths in there nice and wet (yes, once again, I did have to open it
sad.png
), but three still hatched, despite that it went up to almost 110. Didn't even have a hygrometer, so I was winging it there, and all my hope was lost, and -- THREE STILL HATCHED. So let me remind you, my temp loved to flux every few minutes, but I still have chickies.
ya.gif
So don't worry too much (I think I nearly had a breakdown after awhile), and keep us updated!!!

Well, I havfe the humidity up to 72% and the temp inside the eggs is at 99.5. I have the wet towel where I can put water through the hole in the top of the bator to re-wet it when needed. I am just watching for now. I hope that they hatch, but if not, I will keep trying. I won't give up after one failure. I just can't. So no matter what happens, I will have chicks. I just hope that this hatch is somewhat successful. I will let you guys know how it goes and keep you updated. Thanks again for all the help and support. This is a great group of folks.

Marie

This AM when I left for work, the humidity was only 70% so I put another hot rag in there, really quickly. Well, within a few minutes it was 73%. So DH just got home and checked it and the humidity is 78% but the temp is low. The hygrometer I have shows two temps, inside and outside. I have the unit inside the bator, so the top temp tells the bator temp, and the probe is inside a water weasel, so that the second number tells what temp the eggs should be on the inside. Well, right now is 100.2 in the bator and 98.6 inside the eggs. I don't know why it keeps going lower. It is very warm here today so that should not be the problem. This morning it was 99.5 inside the egg. Seems as if I get the humidity up and the temp drops? Should I adjust the temp? I am afraid to get it too hot. That thing is hard to adjust in tiny increments. Any suggestions? Tonight I will be on day 19. Thanks.

Marie

Back
Top Bottom