Incubation success rates - difference between refrigerated and fresh?

Discussion in 'Quail' started by Katz103, Aug 15, 2016.

1. Katz103

Katz103 New Egg

Aug 15, 2016
    Hi everyone!

I'm going through my very first quail egg incubation - we're on day 4 or 5. I'm not sure if the day they went in the bator counts as 0 or 1, but they went in around noon on August 11th. I've candled the lot of 42 we have in there tonight - I was able to see really good veining on 13 of them, many round masses which I'm guessing might be yolks, and quite a few that are unquestionably duds (light shines fully through). I've noticed, however, that most of my duds are the fresh/non-refrigerated eggs I put in from the evening before that sat on the counter overnight. In fact, 11 of the 14 fresh/non-refrigerated eggs are duds and one is questionable. All eggs are rotated manually 3 times a day (all sitting on a small ball of cotton in mini-icecube trays so they are all rotated on an equal angle), homemade bator but temps are monitored throughout the day and kept at 99-100F, and humidity between 45-50%. I haven't taken any out just yet. I will candle again in a few days just to confirm viability.

This makes me wonder if this is just a fluke or if there's something to this? Has anyone else ever tried hatching both refrigerated and non-refrigerated eggs at the same time?

2. eHuman

eHuman Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 14, 2016
    At 5 days incubation I wouldn't pull any egg that didn't stink. Candle prior to lockdown to cull infertile eggs. The clears that you pull on day 5 may be perfectly viable.

Last edited: Aug 16, 2016

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by