Incubator advice needed

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by lotz2612, Jul 1, 2010.

1. lotz2612

lotz2612 Out Of The Brooder

Jun 29, 2010
    Set 4 bantam eggs off this evening...bring on the next 21-24 days :)

Anything I need to look out for? My 1st bator attempt went horribly wrong so any advice would be much appreciated!

2. A.T. Hagan

A.T. Hagan Don't Panic

Aug 13, 2007
    North/Central Florida
    If you don't have a hygrometer it would be a good idea to get one. Keeping the humidity right, particularly the last three days, can play a major role in your hatch. If you have one already be sure to calibrate. They can sometimes be way off. Do a board search on "calibrating hygrometer" and you'll find a lot of info.

3. geebs

geebs Lovin' the Lowriders!

Sep 28, 2008
    Use a room that doesn't get many drafts.... Cover with a towel if you are using a foam bator... Leave air vents open.... Mist with water every four days till lockdown... on day 18 add water and leave bator alone.... Never never never open... not till you are sure there are no more pips or it is day 27... or a baby is 3 days old and needs to come out... (then I would open in a misted humidified bathroom)... If you get to the point you need to pull one out I can walk you through it... Don't pull them out just because they are in there... Leave em.. They help the others hatch... Don't peek at them all the time... Leave em alone... I would put themin a back bedroom closet and forget out them... but do mark the days they need to be misted and even after day 18 limit your peeking... It tires out babies and causes them to heat up the bator more than it should be. Okay... that is my 2 cents worth.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by