Incubator assistance please

Cheryl

Crowing
15 Years
Sep 2, 2007
Milford, New Hampshire
Hi,
I just brought back 4 eggs from Sweden, they were laid on Saturday, my bantams who have been broody all summer, have quit!!! Can someone lead me to Ms Prissy's incubator plans, I have some fast work ahead of me!!! OR some quick directions so I can run out to the hardware store! Anyone else, how much time do I have to get this done if these eggs weren't scrambled in the shells along the way?

thank you!

Last edited:
Quote:
I would so go out and find a hovabator with fan in it.. honestly.. they sound like pretty important eggs.. LOL

Where did you fly them? curious as I would love some Cream leg bars brought back from UK

I got the eggs from a "green" and organic farm in Baskemolla, Sweden. It is in Skane, in the very south of Sweden on the Baltic Sea.
The chickens are hybreds or 2 different chickens, they are good layers but do not set...If I am successful, I will find out from the farm exactly what they are, though they do have a name right now, sorry, I can't remember it!!!! They are a light brown chicken, with the shape of a medium sized RI Red...if it works and I get rooster, I will be looking for a home for them! We flew from Copenhagen, I wrapped them carefully in crepe paper, double plastic bagged them and packed them carefully in my checked bag...

I have started to build the incubator...I have a light, water and temperature gauges, I went with Ms. Prissy's directions...I do not have the hot water heater thermostat, fan or water wiggler. The temp with a 25 watt bulb is staying at 90, (too low) and the humidity is 76, I know that is too high. Will the fan help with the humidity? Any suggestions?

You HAVE to know somebody close with a tried and true incubator..

keep building yours, but keep looking for a friend or at this point, even an enemy, with a good incubator..

I do not know of anyone with an incubator.... my bantam cochins are presently on strike...if it works, great, if it doesn't, that's ok too...I'm leaving it plugged in over night to see what the temps are in the morning. The eggs are going into the basement, it is cooler there, until I'm ready, tomorrow I will hit Radio Shack for a small fan. and Lowes' for the water heater thermostat. So speaking of the thermostat, what does it do, and some how I wire it into the light?

I would just run to a farm store in the morning and pick up an incubator....even if it is a still air, they run about 40.00 or less.

Good luck.

Seriously, I have no real intentions of incubating any more eggs than the 4 I have! I have more chickens than I need right now and do prefer to buy chicks...those couldn't be put in my suit case!!! The temp is running steady around 93, the humidity almost 100% with no fan, will the fan help with the humidity, should I take out some of the water, I have about 1/2" in a 4 x 6 rubbermaid bowl?

Back
Top Bottom