Incubator building time!!!!!!!!!(PICS) Inside! NEED HELP!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I took a look at the controller in your link http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?Vi … K:MEWAX:IT. Now from what little info they had posted, my observation is that the heating element just plugs into the controller. Looks like a regular lamp cord type plugin. If that is the case, you can reduce the wattage below the 600w range by simply using nichrome wire and adapting it to attach to a regular lamp cord and plug it into the controller instead of the 600watt heating element that is provided with the unit. Using nichrome wire and measureing its length with an ohm meter to around 60ohms will allow you to reduce the wattage to about 250w. This will result in a lot slower initial warm up time in your incubator, but will also reduce the chance of overshooting the desired temperature range during the on/off cycles of the heating element.

I didnt see anything resembleing a sensor to control the thermostat function. It could be built into the provided heating element, (not likely), might be a seperate external sensor that could be placed somewhere inside the cabinet, or it could be mounted onboard the controller itself. If it is mounted on the controller itself, you would have to place the controller inside the cabinet in order to regulate the temperature. If the sensor is mounted remotely by use of a wire, you can mount the controller outside the cabinet and use the wire to place the sensor inside the cabinet where-ever you want it.

When assembleing your cabinet, I suggest that you do away with your low voltage 12v fans and look for some 120v fans. The fans need to run continuosly, the 120v fans are very simple to wire into your on/off switch and reduce the clutter of haveing to add a lowvoltage adapter in your wireing circuit. You can find 120v pancake fans similar in size and shape as the computer fans you purchased at surpluscenter.com. They are very cheap, $10 +/- depending on the fan you choose

Reguardless of which fan and heating element you choose, you should have the fan mounted to blow air across the heating element and not pulling the heat from the heating element. Pulling the heat from the element will cause excessive heat buildup in your fans and probable shortening the life span of your fan.

Blowing the hot air across your water pan will help create the humidity levels you will need for incubation. I use a large Sterlite container with lids in my incubators. I cut holes in the lids to effect the amount of air flow that actually reaches the water in the container. Start with a small hole and work your way up until you get the humidity ranges you desire. Then cut the hole a little larger and use duct tape to down size the hole. This will allow you to simply pull the tape off to raise your humidity levels during lockdown. If the fan is blowing directly across the water container, and it is full of water, a 2inx2in hole will be a good starting point for finding the right humidity level. I probably should also mention that I use a float valve inside my water container and a seperate water pail connected by a hose to maintain the water level for proper humidity control. If you dont have a float valve you might have to leave the lid off your water tray so that the humidity doesnt fluctuate as much as the water is used up.

The false back inside your cabinet is a good ideal. Most cabinet bators use this method. Usually the heating element is mounted in the top of the cabinet above the egg trays, but seperated buy a false top. the flase top will have some sort of vent slot that allows the warm air to ciruculate downward to the eggs. This is important because it keeps the eggs from coming into direct contact with the very hot air as it is delivered from the heating element. The flase top also provides a place to place your water tray. The fan is usually mounted behind the heating element and on the back side of the false back. The fan blows air across the heating element and draws the reurn air backup from the bottom of the egg tray compartment. This is because a slot is usually cut into the bottom of the false back wall just for this purpose. This circulation means fresh hot air comes down from the top, over the eggs, thru the bottom and reurns to the fan up the back wall of the incubator. Insulating the back exterior wall of the incubator will help reduce heat loss as the warm air moves up the back (much cooler) exterior wall.

If you decide to use the 12v fans and a wall wart to power the fans, you wont have to worry about which wire goes where from the adapter to the fan. If it is connected wrong, the fan will do one of two things, run backwards or not run at all. If this happens, just reverse the wires. How many of the fans you use will just have to be trial and error on your part. The goal is to provide even heat distribution inside the cabinet, not to create a breeze blowing across the eggs. To much airflow across the eggs will result in moisture evaporation from inside the eggs, even though you might have a high humidity reading inside the cabinet.

Quote:
Not saying your method wont work and if it works for you great. I do have to ask are we compareing apples to apples here tho. Everybody will have a different opinion, but the only one that matters is the one that works for the person thats satisfied with that opinion. I only gave my opinion of what works for me and the method that is used by the Dickey and Sportsman Cabinet stye incubators.

Again, just my opinion, but on a cabinet the size of a TV cabinet, if a person just let the fan run when the heating element is actually powered up, I feel that size cabinet would experience hot and cold spots in the enclosure and not a even heat. Yes the fan just cools the cabinet down if the heat stip isnt supplying heat, but in doing so the fan insures that the entire enclosure is a even heat. Also, just because the heat strip isnt poweredup doesnt mean it still isnt hotter than the thermostat setting. Its probably much hotter than the desired temp and still radiating heat into the enclosure. If the thermostat sensing device is close to the heat strip, and the strip is still radiating heat, the heat strip wont turn back on until the temperature in the rest of the enclosure is much lower than the desired temp setting. If the thermostat senser is located far from the heat stip, it might cool off to fast and cause the heat strip to turn back on to early and cause a temperature overshoot of the desired temperature. A constant circulation of air should provide a much more even heat distribution and a much closer temperature control of the desired temperature range. In a smaller cabinet a person might get by with the fan cycleing with the heat strip, I dont know, never tried it that way myself, so I cant say for sure. One thing I am sure of is that it will take a lot of experimenting with the TVBator to get it work the way it should. Nothing hard about it, you just need patience.

Back
Top Bottom